Glass, why did you pick X.X.X. and not other subs?

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 220
First thing comes to mind is why didn't you get the Brahmas? I saw that video on the adire site with Brahma having crazy excursion. X.X.X. has 3mm more, so it can do the same i take it? I think you were also talking about the H2's and ID MAX? How do they stack up to your liking? It's hard to find any of these subs to listen to, so i just want your opinion.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6795
I looked at several subs.
Eclipse Ti
Image Dynamics ID Max
Orion H2
Adire Brahma
JL Audio 13W7
RE triple X.

I went with the RE subs for a few reasons..
at the time, hardly anybody knew about or used RE subs. The price was great compared to some of the others. the specs met my needs. RE has good support.
mostly I wanted something a bit different and I wanted to try out the RE subs in an AP enclosure.
The Brahma has a bit less Xmax, it's a bit less expensive, but all in all lit's a pretty equal sub to the RE. That was really just personal preference.
Also, I had the amplifiers I planned to use anyway, so the triple X fit the bill almost ideally, having standard dual 2 ohm coils and RMS power handling to 1600wRMS.
I had 1280 watts @ 4 ohms per sub to give, so I needed subs that could really use the juice.

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 251
in your research how would you rate those subs you listed (just purely your opinion)

I just bought another titanium 12 and I have been dying to know why you didnt pick them

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 225
How much are X.X.X?

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 252
12 = $369 im fairly sure

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 226
that's directly from RE? Brahma 12" is $479 from adire...that's not what Glass said.

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 253
369 from RE im almost positve

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 227
you're right, $405 shipped. So brahma is more then.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6823
hmm. thought the 12" brahma was a bit lower than that. last I looked I'd thought they were both within about $30 of each other.
anyway yeah the RE is $369

I was very tempted to get the Eclipse subs actually, but between the price, and the recommended enclosure specs, the RE just fit what I was after a little more.
both are excellent subs though. I wouldn't complain if I had a couple Ti subs either.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 230
Cool. Yeah, looks like Brahma is $110 more for the 12"!!! In your opinion, is it worth that money over the X.X.X?

Bronze Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 65
hey glass whats a better sub the eclipse TI or the memphis top of the line in a 15?

Bronze Member
Username: Dnizzle

Raleigh, NC USA

Post Number: 36
um he picked the x.x.x over the brahma...

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 258
eclipse is way better than memphis

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6836
better than an eclipse Ti.. hmmm a Ti Pro? heh
really the eclipse is a top notch sub. if you're after both SQ and SPL that's one of my top picks.

the brahma and triple X both have the XBR^2 motor structure, but the rest of the sub designs differ.
essentially they are like sister subs, with the brahma aimed a bit more at SQ and the RE more toward SPL with a bit longer throw.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 231
So the TI Pro has more excursion and can handle more power than X.X.X. or Brahma. It can cost as much as a grand! Worth it paying that much over brahma and X.X.X?

Has anyone seen a pic of that mystery RE sub? I think I saw it and it looks like the MTX 9500. I wonder if it'll have more excursion and will be able to handle more power :-)
But yeah, Ti Pro worth it?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6866
ehh 'worth it' is always subjective.
that's entirely between you and your wallet.
it is a great sub if you really think you need that much SPL out of a system while maintaining good SQ.
honestly two normal Ti subs would put out more SPL than you'd want to sit in a car with though.
also consider the ability to power the subs, and to power the amps that drive those subs.
that's the sort of cost most people forget to factor in when they start dreaming really big.

they think ok, a grand each for subs, maybe $500 for each amp..
then they forget to think another $500 for an alternator plus install labor, cost of the enclosure for the subs, 0ga cable for the amps at $3 per foot, some deep cycle batteries at $150 each, a battery isolator for a couple hundred more, etc etc...
then they look at the total cost and start to reconsider just how badly they really need a system that's so loud they can't sit in the car without causing pain or permanent damage to their hearing.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 234
I understand all you've said. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us