Help Me Find The RIGHT System.

Username: Shivvyman

Post Number: 1
I need some help picking out a good amp/subwoofer/box system. I've already got the amp covered. I recently purchased a Sony XM-DS1600P5 amp. Its a mono amp with a max of 1600 watts but runs at 500X1 @ 4 ohms and 900X1 @ 2 ohms. Hopefully, it will do the job. I wanted something affordable, but also something with a respectable power rating (even if Sony has a tendency to slightly over-rate their wattage).

I've decided, or narrowed my selection down to three types of subs.

First, there are the (2) Sony subs that already come in a bandpass box. They are model XS-L121P5. They run at 350 rms and can hit 18 hz. However, I've heard some good things and bad things. Here is a link to the system on EBAY: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D5739309864&ssPageName= STRK:MEWA:IT
This a pretty inexpensive set up, and everything looks good on paper. I've heard these subs before and they aren't too bad, but you get what you pay for, so they can't be great. What do you all think of the set-up?

Second, I've been looking at 2 INFINITY KAPPA 120.3dvc 12. They run at 300 watts rms and can hit 18 hz. Here is a link to the full specs and EBAY site: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D5739370562&ssPageName= STRK:MEWA:IT

Third, I've been looking at the (2) Alpine SWR-1241D. I'm also looking at the 2 ohm version as well. Those are 4 ohm duel voice coil. I'm really starting to get confused as to what would be easiest to hook up to my amp. Especially when you throw in the type of box I might get. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D5739477184&ssPageName= STRK:MEWA:IT.
Thats the address to what I'm looking at. From what I can understand, it would be better to purchase the 2 ohm version for my amp. Is that correct?

Anyway, what subs would you guys pick. I've really narrowed it down to these subs and I am not considering anything else (sorry, no kickers or JLs).

Now, here is where the trouble comes in. I'm really getting confused when figuring how how to wire the damn things. Especially with the duel voice coils. Honestly, I'm looking more at the Kappas and Alpines rather than the Sonys. I've been doing some research on box types, but have not come to a conclusion.

Basically, what subs would you pick and what box would you go with? And how exactly would you wire the subs in the box (if the box is say sealed and has a seperate chamber for each sub, or if the box is ported, how are the subs wired in a ported box). I know this is kind of confusing, but I'm looking to wire the subs down to 2 ohms, giving me more power.

Essentially, what type of box (sealed or ported) would you pick with the available subs I've listed above. I'm not looking into a bandpass box because I've heard its fairly sloppy, but I will consider it if somebody can explain to me the possible benefits.

Thanks for the help,
Michael

Post Number: 2
Sorry, the web sites didn't work, I'll try again.

SONY: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48613%26item%3D5739309864 %26

KAPPA: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18803%26item%3D5739370562 %26

ALPINE: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18803%26item%3D5739477184 %26%26

Unregistered guest
there are wiring instructions with the subs. personally. i'd get the alpine subs, sony subs and speaker have a dendency to not work. and infinty is a bit gurly. the amp you have bought is quite a good one tho. i reccomend you look on www.indoaudio.com. try audiobahn, kicker, or diamond audio. audiobahn is dirt cheap there but do not under estimate it, its far louder and has a better sq than sony, infinity amd alpine. kicker is also just as good but its far more expensive, the same goes for diamond audio.

a 4 ohm dual voice coil sub, can be wired to give 2 ohm. and a 2 ohm dual voice coil can be wired to give 1 ohm.

if you connect the two positive terminals together and connect the two negatives together this is the effect you will get. this is called "parrelell" wiring

taylor17
Unregistered guest
Ya if you are set on just the 3 subs you listed, I would go with Alpine. But you might want to look at audiobahn, people eather love them or hate them. You can find a good pare of audiobahn subs cheep. As for the ohms look at your amp and see where it puts out the most power. If your amp says 1 ohm stable, get the 2 ohm dvc. If it is 2 ohm stable, get the 4 ohm dvc sub's.

Post Number: 3
I've looked at Audiobahn, but I have never heard them and there isn't anywhere around town that sells them. I'm a little skeptical because there are so many different models. They all look extremely flashy. This tends to worry me. All show but no go? I think I'm pretty set on the Sonys, Kappas, or Alpines. I'm going to a specialty car audio shop today to see what they have and hear anything that I may not have previously considered.

To be honest, I'm a little concerned that the Alpine subs won't hit the low notes. I've heard they can have problems going really low and deep. Is this true? The Kappas can hit 18 hz, yet the Alpines only do 24. I may be reaching a little, but I have a pretty good ear for this type of thing. I may be one who could actually notice the difference. Its tough to make a decision when you can't go somewhere and compare both of them side by side.

taylor17
Unregistered guest
The human ear can only usually hear 20 to 20000 hz. Anything below 20 hz you want be able to hear. And I haven't herd that a bout the Alpine's, Try to listen to Alpine's type r

Bronze Member
Username: Udai

Post Number: 37
My friend wes had a complete system with sony subs. Im not experienced with all this car audio stuff but i know garbage when i hear it.

taylor17
Unregistered guest
Ya most people try to stay away from brand's like
Sony
Legacy
cole
boss audio and any other brand's that you can get at wallmart:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Eric77

Post Number: 43
Just so you know just about ANY preloaded box blows. On top of that just about any bandpass box blows unless built PERFECTLY to specs, which that sony box is not. For those reasons and many many more I would not pick the sony.
I havent heard the alpine or infinity, but from what I have read the alpine seems to be a better driver.
Any reason why you will only go with one of those woofers? There are other woofers out there that are better for the same price. If you want, you could check out adire audio, re audio, or elemental designs. All these companies are internet based and are well respected. Do a little research and you will see that these companies make woofers in that price range that should be even better than the alpine or infinty which are both prety good subs.

Post Number: 4
Well, I've done some more research and have decided not on the Kappas I listed above. Instead, for about $70 more, I'm looking at the Kappa perfects. If you look at the reviews for them they are at the top of the line. Not much compares. Deep low send that put out bass and actually 'sound' good. They don't just make noise like many other subs. I want something that will not only wake the neighbors up in the morning, but will actually sound tight. I don't want a sloppy vibrating sound.

It may be true that there are small internet companies that make similar products at a better price, but I would prefer to go with a brand name product. Considering I can't listen to many of these products, I want an established name.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Kappa Perfects. What more could you ask for, 350 RMS and can hit 18 hz.

Username: Rockytophigh

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 10
Phoenix Gold Xenon's. That's what I'm trying out.

Bronze Member
Username: Eric77

Post Number: 48
Hitting 18 hz really means nothing since the human ear can only hear down to 20 hz. Other than that, Im sure they are great speakers and you should be satisfied. However, these arent the loudest speakers but are geared more toward sq if I recall.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us