Hey Glass?

Bronze Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 52
hey I was wondering how the Arc Audio 1500 D-R compares to the US amps DE 1000 that I was looking at? Also most mono amps are class D this says it is class T what is class T? In your opinion which of these are a better amp I know last time we talked you stated that both companies were pretty good. well thanks
James

Bronze Member
Username: Zippitta

Mulberry, Florida United State...

Post Number: 11
Class T
"Class T (Tripath) is similar to class D with these exceptions: This class does not use analog feed back like its class D cousin. The feedback is digital and is taken ahead of the output filter, avoiding the phase shift of this filter. Because class D or T amplifier distortion arises from timing errors, the class T amplifier feeds back timing information. The other distinction is that this amplifier uses a digital signal processor to convert the analog input to a PWM signal and process the feedback information. The processor looks at the feedback information and makes timing adjustments. Because the feedback loop does not include the output filter, the class T amplifier is inherently more stable and can operate over the full audio band. Most listeners can not hear the difference between class T and good class AB designs. Both class D and T designs share one problem: they consume extra power at idle. Because the high frequency waveform is present at all times, even when there is no audio present, the amplifiers generate some residual heat. Some of these amplifiers actually turn off in the absence of music, and can be annoying if there is too much delay turning back on." (http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/0111cae_anatomy/)
-This place gives excellent descriptions of each kind of amplifier

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6719
that pretty much explains it.
class D and T are pretty much the same thing except class T can be used for full range, and class D is limited to low frequency (subs) due to distortion produced.
I'm not a real big fan of using class T amps for full range myself, but I like AB amps for everything. I'd use pure class A if I could.

as for the heat produced by the class T or D amps, that isn't really much of a concern since AB amps produce a certain amount of heat even at low volume as well, since at lower volumes, a class AB amp is acting in A mode, and "always on."

the on/off nature of a class T amp, and shutting off with no input signal is however, not something I like, but most people never really notice it.

between US Amps and Arc, both are top notch companies, and at that point it comes down to aesthetics, features, power, and price in deciding which fits your needs.
you're not likely to find an amp over 1000 watts that's class AB, but US Amps makes a few.
they're all very costly, and they use a tremendous amount of current since class AB is only 60% efficient, versus the 80% of a class D or T amp.
that pro/con is up to you on which you can deal with more easily.

Bronze Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 56
alright well I am kinda shying away from the class A/B for the reason of the current draw! I have one now and I really dont like all the current it pulls. I am prob gonna go with the US amps de1000 I really like the specs on that amp. Thanks for the help.
James

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6735
sounds good to me
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us