Explain plz

Bronze Member
Username: Araknid

Post Number: 85
what is the difference between max power wattage and RMS?

Bronze Member
Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 47
In a nutshell max power is the power that a piece of equipment can cope with for a very brief period of time. RMS (Root Mean Squared) is the continuous sustainable output from the device (or input in the case of a speaker). RMS is the only rating worth reading in the way of power handling. The max power can be a fantasy figure and means next to nothing. Max power is often reffered to by shady companies as PMPO (Peak Music Power Output) and is just there to fool you into thinking it is the acronym that you should be reading (RMS).

Cheers Glenn

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
so if those sony Xplods say they can handle 1200 max watts continuous and 350 RMS what does this mean?

taylor17
Unregistered guest
If you are going to listen to them for a long period of time you should only have 350 watt's to them. If you put 1200 to the sub it would cause som dammage more than likely.. The rms means how much it can handle constantly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
how long do u consider a long time? 30 mins?so i can have it on 1200 but only for short periods of time?

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 92
I wouldnt run them for that long at 1200 watts. Only reason to give them that kind of power would be a comp where your burp the system

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
ok i got ya

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
so ur saying a 2 channel 1400 watt 2 ohm amp would be fine since the speakers are 4 ohm? giving them exactly 350 each?

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
anybody?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us