///ALPINE MRD-M501&TYPE R

jimbo911
Unregistered guest
hi i just bought an alpine mrd-m501 for a 12" alpine type r. i was thinking about gettin g one more tpe r and one more mrd-m501. rms is only 300 i think but i want to run both amps with both speakers. besides the fact that i shouldnt what would make it so my speakers will last. if i dont want to blow them but if i do ill buy the type r 15"s but i am going to run the 12's and hope for the best. any opinios from people who have used the type r's running more than the rms???????and please leave a good post and if you dont know what your talking about leave it for someone who does...thank you...jim

Bronze Member
Username: Langless28

Post Number: 39
i dont have any type r's but i do own the 501 it is very good for powering two 12's ,not to much power and not too little. u shoulnt need to get two 501s for two 12 type r's UNLESS u plan to run each sub at 4 ohm. i would reccomnend wiring the.. well i need to know if they are 2ohm dvc's or the 4 ohm model

jimbo911
Unregistered guest
nah i am going to run them at 2ohm and hope they dont blow. i was just wondering if anyone else has also done this and how it worked out for them.

Bronze Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 31
running both of them at 550 watts rms?

jimbo911
Unregistered guest
yes....ive seen them take more than that. so i hope mine will too lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Squanto

No, No Usa

Post Number: 51
just keep ur gains down... if ur gains are up you would risk damaging them if the amp clips. i would say its not a great idea running them with that much power, unless you have a good warranty.

i hear the type-rs can handle a lot of power, but thats almost twice as much as they can handle. and if ur amp clips, youre totally screwed.
i'd say run both off one amp, or just get one more 501 and some better subs...
take it from me, ive blown out a whole assload of subs like that. (but luckily i had the CC cityadvantage plan)

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 359
The type Rs can handle lots of power but it must be clean; even at 550 you're skating on the edge though. Man 550 each & they will pound; I once ran mine with 380 each for a few weeks and they just slammed away.

Bluntman420
Unregistered guest
Damien....did you ever have yours tested when you were running them at 280watts a piece?...how many db's..what did ya have them in?...sealed or ported?...how big was the box?...what kind of vehicle?...social security number?...credit card number?...lol.....j/k...figured id throw that in for sh*ts and giggles lol...but if ya wouldnt mind answering the first few that would be cool...cause im seriously thinking about running the exact same system...right now i only have the 2 type r 12"s and 1 m501..but there not hooked up yet so im not sure if ill be happy with the way it sounds..

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
*No never had them tested
*Have them in a ported 1.20 cu. ft. dual 12" enclosure
*1995 Toyota Camry 4dr sedan 400,000 Miles + :-)
*MRD-M501 V12 amp

Results:

Can't use my mirrors they shake to much and never stay adjusted, feel the kick drumming in my chest, set the occasional car alarm off, Radar detector bobs up and down and hits the windshield, hair stands up etc..., As far as sitting in the back during nice deep long hits they do make me cough and have some trouble breathing.

Some people doubt me when I say all those results and I am no car audio expert but that is what I have experienced with my setup. They did hit harder with 380 watts but I was leaning more towards a good balance (listen to heavy metal) and they slam well with the V12 as well though I am very satisfied. The Type Rs have taken w/o a problem the heaviest fast passed hard hitting kick drumming I have thrown at them so far as well as other misc. genres such as techno but NO rap for me! :-)

*On another note the MRD-M501 V12 is an awesome amp and has some kick @ss features on it; I like knowing how much amps/volts are being used in real mode as well as internal amp temp and the variety of digital settings and controls. The stats say the amp puts out 550 but I have recently measured and found the amp really puts out about 585-590 watts @ 14.4 volts with the subs wired for a 2 ohm load.

tracy
Unregistered guest
these subs will take a pounding i had a single 12" type r and ran it at 2 ohm's with a jl 500/1 wich is more like almost 700 watts of power and it would slam all night. i had this setup for almost a year, now its in my friends car still pounding with a jl 250/1 i think its a very good amp for it

jimbo911
Unregistered guest
anyone out there running the type r's?..haha me too...i know.having a budget SUCKS!!! but anyways how many db's are you guys getting and what are your exact setups? any info would be totally helpfull..thanks.

dave56
Unregistered guest
I use 2 alpine type R 12" and im using an MRD-M1001 and last time i wastested i hit 149.9. and that was in a 1998 mitsubishi eclipse.

jimbo911
Unregistered guest
wow...thats alot better than i was thinking..and how does it seem to be treating your subs?..do you think 2 mrd-m501's would be to much for 2 12" type r's?...i have 1 and the paper it came with rated it at 597.1 watts. so thats like 600watts to each..but it looks like im going to have to because i just read another post where it says that i cant run 2 dual 4ohm subs off of 1 mrd-m501....what do ya think dave?or glass?or anyone who can actually help me and not just talk out of there a$$....thanks dave.

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 262
what amp would be ideal for just one to give it the cleanest power?

jamesT333
Unregistered guest
depends on what you like.

Silver Member

Post Number: 376
When supplied with the right voltage (14.4v) the MRD-M501 puts out about 580 - 600 @ 2ohm. I recently
ordered a 150A HO Alternator from Mr. Alternator because my old alternator took a cr@p last week and now I cant use them at all with out clipping the sh!t out of them. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
tell the new alternator gets here... -_-
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us