Can you beat the w7 8" sealed for sq and spl

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 222
if price isnt really a huge obstacle

im considering running one jl w7 8" in a jl sealed enclousre and 6.5 components off a 5 channel eclipse amp

for around 1 k installed is there a system that would sound better with a decent amount of spl (sq being most important)

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 529
theres always something that can beat out something else no matter what it is...kinda like that say "no matter how bad it is atlest you can tell yourelf it cant get anyworse, well it can get worse and chances are it will"

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 223
lol - well is this atleast a top option then

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6406
RE triple X, or Eclipse Ti Pro
Treo's top end, Alpine Type X, ID Max, there are others.
they'd all be at least on par with the W7

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 224
I know those other subs but eclipse pro's are huge and take tons of watts to run

I just saw a 10 K setup with 1 15" pro and it was running 3K watts

alpine type X seems to be worse than jl w7 by quite a bit in my opinion

and the RE XX.x is good but I can get the 8"W7 in a 1 cube jl made box with 300 + watts and it will sound great without having to get an alternator etc etc

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6443
the 8W7 will cost more than the RE will, too, as will the JL amplifier since JL W7 subs run at an odd impedance, so only thier amps are an ideal match for power.
In the end, even with more power supplied to the RE, the price balances out.

I use two RE XX.X 12" subs in an aperiodic enclosure, with an Orion 2250SX on each sub.
The subs were $369 each versus JL's 12W7 @ $799 each, and I got the Orion amps used for $250 each, while even new they cost $1249 each, which is the same price as a JL 1000/1, give or take some change, and that'd be the equivalent amp for each 12 or 13 W7.
So all in all, I still came out with what I feel is a superior setup, and for less than the JL.
I think my AP enclosure sounds better than any sealed box, too.

Just some food for thought
If you're going to run W7s, you're looking at big amps anyway.. so you're not going to easily get away with a stock charging system using any super-subs. They all need juice to reach the excursions they're made for. That's one of the drawbacks of these massive subwoofers people are getting so into these days.

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 225
thats a good point but i was excited about the 8" bc it promised booming sound from a small box how large is your box for the 2 12"s

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 226
lol as usual i think you have change my mind glass so this is what im working with now

I still have a bp 1200.1 thats new laying around I can run 1 12" xx.x with that in a ported box is there any place that sells xx.x spec boxes or what do you recommend

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6446
an AP enclosure is larger than a sealed box due to the membrane and the fact that AP only works in cars with a trunk since the rear chamber has to be completely isolated airspace.
Anyway I'm not saying the 8W7 is bad in any way.
I like them.
I was just offering alternatives, and answering the initial challenge of naming some subs that could equal or outperform the W7 in general.

Keep in mind too, I'm dealing with a '66 Charger here, so I have nearly the room of a pickup bed behind me. the back seats fold flat, the trunk divider drops flat, and I have a huge open bay from tail lights to front seats in that beast.
with the divider up, I can isolate the trunk and use all of it for the AP box and amps, and batteries, with room left over.. and still have a 'hatchback' sort of area in front of the divider and behind the back seats.
fastbacks are great for space.
if you're not so fortunate for room to spare, the W8 is a good sub, but keep in mind it's still got a large magnet structure behind it, and that displacement needs to be subtracted from enclosure volume when building the box.
worth keeping in mind with any high Xmax sub

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 227
For 1 ported 12" in a new mazda 6 what kind of box space would you need if you went ported?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2739
Around 2-2.5 cubic foot NET. Gross will be in the 3 cu ft range usually, depending on how large of a port you use.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6474
and how much displacement the speaker has.
these supersubs eat up space in the box quickly
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us