Is it possible to make a sub box out off welded plates of steel?

Username: Deviantpines

Post Number: 4
Is it possible to make a sub box out off welded plates of steel? Does it have to be made from wood...? Will this affect the sound quality? The reason; space is an issue.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 526
the steel would resonate as well as cause a ping noise i beleive, i would highly recommend not doing that. if space is an issue get a sub that can perform in a small enclosure

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 837
Hey campbell, yes you can make a sub box out of welded plates. However if you're looking for sound quality, I'd advice you not to do it. You can use parts of the steel to re-enforce the box for strength.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6407
I've only ever seen one really good metal sub enclosure.
It's a home sub, and it's made from solid billet aluminum.
The enclosure with the sub weighs something like 2500lbs, and it costs more than most cars.

aside from that, it's not recommended as the metal will resonate and sound awful.

Bronze Member
Username: Help_2

MN

Post Number: 16
2500lbs!...
jesus...can you lock up jewelry in that thing too?

:-)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6414
here it is
http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_MRS_p_MRS.html

gotta love Krell.
they make the STA-250 amplifier I use for my Martin Logan ESL panels. Amazing amplifiers.

Bronze Member
Username: Help_2

MN

Post Number: 18
MSRP of 28k...400Lbs...
rediculous.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 852
Holy cow, how much is that sucker?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6450
400lbs. yeah I remember thinking it would take a crane, or two pro wrestlers to get that thing positioned, and you'd better have it on a solid floor. That wouldn't work well short of going on carpeted concrete.
Weight wise I had to go look.. I was thinking about the martin logan statement E2 mains that weigh 1800lbs per pair and cost $75,000 US
between those and the krell sub, you'd have a pretty impressive 2.1 audio setup, if ya had a good source, pre-amp and amplifiers for those ESLs. They want about 600 watts per channel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us