Alpine MRV T707 blowing fuses like crazy

Username: Xxxsoilworkxxx

Post Number: 1
OK, i just got a system from my friend a few days ago and everything was fine until i decided to wire my subs in parallel instead of series. I dropped my resistance down to 1 ohm, drawing about 900 watts of powere (so ive been told) to my subs. Everything was all great until tonight, i was driving around and i blew both fuses on my amplifier...nothing really bothered me until i went and bought some fuses and they blew the second i turned my radio on. Thinking it might have been the way the subs were wired i re wired them in series, the way they were before, and tried it again...blew my fuses again. Then i tried each individual sub, and both times they blew the fuses. can anyone tell me what they might think it is?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6322
well, the subs sound to be ok. good job testing those out.
sounds like the amp may have been damaged.
is it a 1 ohm stable amp? If it's not rated for 1 ohm, and it doesn't have internal protection, it may have incurred thermal damage.

Username: Xxxsoilworkxxx

Post Number: 2
it is a 1 ohm stable amp....i believe its 900W X 1 @ 1ohm...but,...just to be sure i re wired them to be at 4 ohms and it still blew the fuses...im beginning to think it might be the capacitor i installed so in the morning i will take the cap out of the circuit and see what happens then.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6356
let me know the results.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 142
I don't think removing the capacitor will change anything. What brand is this 900W @ 1ohm amp though? That may be the key

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 403
If it's a faulty capacitor (the plates will short) it can cause a fuse to pop but it will pop the fuse before the amp not on the amp.

Note: I have seen large electrolytic capacitors blow up and shoot across the room! When they were wired wrong they gas and build up pressure. When they blow up they are very loud!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6391
and the installers are very dumb.

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 428
When doing production runs of circuit boards it happens. Sometimes it's not caught by inspection before testing/calibration. Then it happens to explode shortly after power up by the technician (like myself).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us