Amplifier install to a Golf Mk4

Username: Kevla2

Post Number: 1
Hello people,
I have a mk4 Golf and want to install an amp and subs but am confused how to get the power cable from the battery into the actual car. I have done this on loads of other cars but this one seems to be a bugger. Has anyone got any advice for me? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6143
well, you need to go through the firewall.
there are several ways to do that, depending on the wire size.
you can find a rubber grommet, and go through an existing opening that way by shoving a straightened wire hanger through the opening, then duct taping the cable to the wire hanger, and pulling it back through the firewall.. (good fast garage method there) or you can use a bi-metal hole saw and make your own hole if you know what you're doing and need a bigger opening. You'll need to order a sealing grommet for that method though.
www.partsexpress.com has them.

Username: Kevla2

Post Number: 2
Thanks for that. Do I need to take any components out of the engine bay so i can see it more clearly? Also how easy is it to run RCA's and remote cables etc up the car? I know I sound like an amature but its a new car for me and i dont want to wreck it (my girlfreid wouldnt be pleased). Cheers. Kev

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6164
depending on how wiry you are, you shouldn't need to move anything in the engine bay.
as for running cables inside the car, keep signal and power lines separated, so one goes up one side of the car, and the other goes up the center or other side.
run under carpeting, and plastic moldings.
it's work, but take your time, and you can do it all so everything is hidden.
I just spent about 2 or 3 nights running my new Jeep that way too, since I'm not the only one driving that SUV, and it needed to be completely hidden when it was all done.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us