Need advice for subwoofer setup for E46 BMW 3series coupe

Bronze Member
Username: Wildpanda86

Post Number: 18
I am in the middle of trying to put together a system for a 2001 325ci. I just got an Eclipse premium amp that is 5 channels with 200 watss rms at 4ohms or 280rms at 2ohms to the sub channel. The other 4 channels puts out 50 watts per channel.

Which setup should I go with:
1) JL Audio stealth box, it gets placed where the factory 6.5's are in the back. It is an 8 inch free air infinite baffle design that takes advantage of BMW's well sealed trunk

2) Image DYnamics 12 inch IDQ V.2 in a .8 cf sealed enclosure over the battery in the right side of the trunk. The Sealed enclosure is specific for the car and is made by www.autoacoustics.com in England. Price of the box is around 280 + 100 for oversease shipping. Of course the armrest will be open and bass can also come through the hole where the Harmon Kardon subwoofer used to be.

3) 2 ten inch woofers (IDQ or W0) mounted in a sealed 1.1cf box made specifically for my car by www.bavariansoundwerks.com that mounts under the rear deck and has the subs pointed downward. Also consider the specs on my amp

4) JLaudio 8w7 in a sealed box with the front sealed from the rest of the trunk and firing into the skipass/ armrest opening directly into the car.So all you see from the trunk is the 5 channel Eclipse

5) premade box such as a jlaudio prowedge w3 dual ten inch or Eclipse box loaded with two Eclipse ten inch subs firing backwards... Consider the size of the amp which is pretty big and where to place it if the box is gonna take all the floorspace up.

Which is my best option?
I also plan on doing Focal 165A's front and back or 165K2P (if I go with JL stealth box) in front.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 240
I like #4 the best. It is always good to set up the sub so it works like it is in the cab. If I had the option I was going to do the same with my 12W7. Since my accord doesn't have the fold down arm rest I had to fire the sub thru the the deck.

One more peice of advice for you. I would drop the rear fill and go a step up on the front components.

Bronze Member
Username: Karthalin

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 43
go to
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127
and post this same topic there. I have an E36 M3 and I got A LOT of good advice from those guys. Dropping the rear fill really depends on you. It really doesnt help much since you have the ski hole/arm rest. I personally like having rear fill, but again, if you feel you dont need it then take out the speakers and use the holes for ports. I would go with either #3 (because the install would look awsome. I would do it but I have 4 10's goin in) or #4 with a 10" instead of an 8". You will LOVE the 10 firing through the ski hole. Mabye a JL 10w3 4 DVC, wired down to 2 Ohms. It would definatly add some bass.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 243
Thanks Casey you reminded me of something. A 10 or a 12 will work better than an 8 IMO. I perfer 12s since I feel they give a better all around balance. So I would listen to a few and go from there.

Bronze Member
Username: Wildpanda86

Post Number: 19
Thanks guys, I do like the idea of it going through the ski pass as well. If I go that route, even though it would pretty much end up being a permanent install, would it still be lightweight... because I track the car as well.

If I go with the under the rear deck box with 2 tens pointing downwards & the ski pass open with 2 ten inch JLW0, will the bass get through good & sound good? Or should I do that setup and see if my amp will push 2 ten inch Image Dynamics IDQ or JLW3?

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 251
Yes it could be a light weight install. It depends on how big the box needs to be to accomidate the speaker.

It will but IMO it will not work as well as firing the sub directly thru. When you build a box that forces the sound waves to move in one direction, like thru the ski hole, you will get alot more bass in the cab without using as much power. By simply firing the subs down you are not directing the sound waves in any direction. The basicaly go where they want, therefore your system isn't as effeciant. That is something else to remember when you start talking weight. A box for one sub will be smaller and lighter than a box for 2 subs. Yet you can still get as good of sound quality, and probably the same spl, if your install is done well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us