Best Enclosure type for SQ

Bronze Member
Username: Flyfishin4trout

Park City, UT USA

Post Number: 35
I want to build or buy the best SQ sub and enclosure and wanted to get some opinions on what that would be. I have been looking at a couple options

http://www.audioperfect.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=65&products_id=5 11
with two brahmas of course

or

http://www.jlaudio.com/enclosures/CLS112RGW7.html#

which would be just one 12 but I am not sure which way to go one 12 or 2 10's. Thanks for all your help.....AGAIN..:-)

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 756
Hey Eric, I'd personally find a sub first and then find a box, sealed/ported that meet the speaker's requirement.
Your 2nd link says the final ohm is 3. That's not a good number to work with. Most amps are either 4ohms bridged or 2ohms.
3ohms will overwork the 4ohms and not maximize 2ohms rated amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Flyfishin4trout

Park City, UT USA

Post Number: 37
Which sub would you recommend for the best SQ. Hands down just absolutely incredible SQ. That will be my starting point and then on to the boxes that are a fortune by the way :-)

nnnnick b.
Unregistered guest
Image Dynamics IDQ. Not that loud but from what i hear it is an excellent SQ sub. Sealed of course.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 233
Hay eric if you want to go with a JL sub, then use a JL amp. They put out the same watts at 2, 3, or 4 ohms. The 500/1 will push A 12W7 very well. As for SQ subs I like JL and Boston Acoustic. I have personally delt with both and been very pleased with the SQ.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 236
As for 10s or 12s, I perfer 12s for SQ. I listen to a wide range of music so I perfer a sub that is well balanced, and tens just don't seem to do it for me.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 761
Ten inch subs do have some advantages over larger ones. However, if you want earth sharttering bass, you can't beat 15" - 18" subs. There's loud and then there's pounding loud. I personally like 18" subs. If you have the space and money, try larger size. Of course you'll need a custom box built to meet the sub's requirements.
I'm using MA Audio 18" sub in a sealed box.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2702
For transient response, sound quality, reduced distortion, and control of the subwoofer, SQ in my book goes to either the aperiodic membrane or a well designed Transmission line enclosure. Aperiodic works well in a car if you can accomodate the requirements.

Username: Udai

Post Number: 10
in english now ? :p

is the idq 10 have much diff from the 12?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 136
IDMAX as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Mattellermets

Danville, IL US

Post Number: 49
very nice, jon. pearls before swine though, i'm afraid

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6267
best box for SQ is an Aperiodic.

After that, probably a quarter-wave transmission line cabinet, but those are huge, and very difficult to build.

that is, if all you're after is accuracy and SQ, and SPL events aren't at all in your game, because an AP box is about -3dB down from a sealed box, so you lose a bit in overall loudness, but gain a tremendous advantage in driver control, particularly at higher frequencies, over about 50Hz.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6268
heh, I saw Jon's reply after I wrote mine.
now that'd funny.

Bronze Member
Username: Virulentv

Post Number: 38
if you ever wanna go with sq subwoofer then ID MAX is the choice. i am a proud owner of a single 12" ID MAX in a 1.33 cu ft sealed enclosure and trust me have no complaints about its SQ. beautiful!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6295
and best of all, ID makes a pre-fabbed AP membrane for doing Aperiodic enclosures with the IDMax subs.
That makes life much eisier if you're after pure SQ and driver control.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2710
By the way, for those who aren't familiar with it, here's some more info about AP:
http://www.maximacar.com/aperiodic.htm
http://www.elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=18

Bronze Member
Username: Udai

Post Number: 13
this is why it sucks to be a car audio newb
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us