I finally found a box, but I think it might suck...you think?

Anonymous

I've been looking for a custom box to fit under the back seat of my Silverado to hold 12s.

I found one that has 1.26 cu ft of space per speaker. I was happy...then I found that it is built with 5/8 mdf and not 3/4.

Will that make much difference?

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 216
thats only 1/8 of an inch you shouldnt be able to noitice a difference at all and it should work just fine

Bronze Member
Username: Taylornuts

Wichita, KS USA

Post Number: 22
I think the only reason that they built it out of 5/8 is for weight reasons it shouldn't make any difference. The 4x8 sheet of mdf (3/4) weigh close to 100+ ilbs

Anonymous

I was just worried about the box flexing...with a couple of 12s in it bassing hard you know.

You still think 5/8 is OK?

Help2
Unregistered guest
Depends on the subs.
If theyre low power subs, you should be fine.
I wouldnt put a Brahma in there, but Id put
a vmaxx in there.
you can always add some bracing too.

Anonymous

I was looking at the CV vmaxx 12s...I have a 500w rms @ 2ohm amp.

Would this be a good combo?

Bronze Member

Wichita, KS USA

Post Number: 23
I domt think that it will make any diff. I think it should be strong enough. What kind of amp?

Help2
Unregistered guest
that combo sounds good.

Gold Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1154
ive always wanted to make a sealed box of like 1/4 inch MDF and put a brahma in with 800 wrms and watch it blow up lol

be so much fun watching splinters go everywhere

Bronze Member
Username: Eric77

Post Number: 16
"A true story
We once heard of a fellow using a triplet of our 10W6's in a sealed box powered with a 1200 watt amplifier. The box was not braced at all, was one big chamber and was made of particle board. While demonstrating the system for a crowd of people, the box literally exploded in his trunk, coating his trunk with sawdust and enclosure shrapnel, leaving the subs to play in free-air (not cool). Not only is it frustrating (or really cool, depending upon your personality) to have a box explode in your car, but it can also be very dangerous....after all, you could poke an eye out!"
-COurtesy of jlaudio.com
I find this story hilarious. I can just imagine someone with audiobahns doing this. Too bad some idiot did this with jl's. I wonder what happened to the subs. Afterall, lots of power + lots of air space = f****ed up woofers.

Bronze Member

Wichita, KS USA

Post Number: 25
What thickness of particle board? I have mine made of 3/4, with two audiobahn aw1500q subs with the orion 2250 the beast on them it dont make mine move. What do you use?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us