Am I just friggin retarded?? Do I need 2 amps for 2 subs?

Bronze Member
Username: Karthalin

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 13
Ok, I am a damn College graduate in mechanical engineering and I cant figure this out! (Too much work, not enough sleep, I have gone retarded...)

I WANT 2 RE X.X.X subs, each sub comes with 2 Ohm DVC, and I can special order them to have 1 Ohm DVC. Anywayz, each sub can handle 1600W RMS/2600W Max. So I WAS planning on using ONE 1500W RMS amp to run BOTH speakers. I was just told that it wont work, each speaker will only see 750W and they will barely move. No matter how I wire them. Is this true?

I was suggested to get either one 3000W RMS or two 1500W RMS amps, one for each speaker. Well, can I just use one 1500W amp and have the subs in paralell or have I forgotten the basic laws of circuits????

Username: Dnizzle

Raleigh, NC USA

Post Number: 3
What brand amp, some are over rated some are under rated. If its a true 1500w amp then it could definitely get them moving to full excursion. You just have to make sure your box is right.

Bronze Member

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 14
The brand will be quality, thinking an Orion or a top of the line Rockford Fosgate, what ever it is I want TRUE 1500W capabilities to BOTH speakers. I dont want an amp that says its 1500W, but its really 1700W and each speaker still only sees 850W. I would like both speakers pushed to the max.

BTW, anyone know what the mechanical Wattage limit is on these speakers? I.E. how big an amp do I need to just reach max excursion?

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 441
1600 watts rms is a thermal rating. 750 watts to each sub would definatly make them move and they would sound good. The X.X.X. like around 1000 though but 750 watts would be fine.

Bronze Member

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 17
750 Watts will not be fine, at the absolute MINIMUM I would put 1000 to each, around 1300 is what I am shooting for, and 1500 is the goal here. Anyone actual have experience with these subs and know what the mechanical wattage limit is? I would like to have a 1500W RMS amp and only use 80-85% of its power

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 442
1000 watts rms would be plenty

Username: Dnizzle

Raleigh, NC USA

Post Number: 4
If you put those subs in a huge sealed box, they could reach full excursion with 750 rms each.

Bronze Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 91
Sounds like you've got $$$ to spend. Why would you want to parallel dual 1ohm subs? No amp can handle that much current. If you get 1ohm DVC, be sure to series the coils and parallel the subs to keep it at 1ohm. Find out from RE how much power you need for full excursion. Just because it says it can take 1600W, doesn't mean it sounds better with 1600W than 1000W. In fact, it'll probably reach maximum excursion at 1000W and from that point on will not sound any lounder, will just get hotter. 1600W means that it's quality built and can withstand lots of heat before it blows up. Get the orion 2500D, as you have hinted before. It'll give you 1250W at 1ohm in each woofer, more than enough. I hope you have a really HO alternator, because don't expect anywhere close to the full potential of the amp or the subs unless you're going to feed them. Good luck

Bronze Member

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 18
Oh I plan on going ALL OUT on this system. I am thinking 1000W per sub is what I am going to settle on. I am going to look into HO alternators and capacitors and the like later, I dont care what it takes to get this baby up and running. I dont have a money to drop on it now, but as soon as my credit card is empty, I am getting another one with the 0% introductory rate for a year. And I can pay the system off in no time if I put my mind and money to it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us