Adire shivas

Username: Newb

Post Number: 83
has anyone else had problems with sloppy bass with shivas. i even have them in a sealed box but they dont seem too accurate.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 949
what amplifier are you using?
how are they wired?
what's the volume of the enclosure you're using, after driver displacement?
is the charging system sufficient?

Post Number: 84
im using the usx2100 us acoustics 2 chan amp. its supposed to be 300w rms bridged @12v. on the website it says shivas r 8ohm dvc but the installer told me it was actually 4ohm dvc, *shrug*. since the amp is bridged im assuming its running at 4 ohms. enclosure is 1cu ft sealed, not sure of driver displacement. alternator in my rsx is stock but my headlights only dim if volume is above 85%. actually im not complaining, shivas sound decent for $100 subs but in certain staccato passages, the bass gets sloppy. just wondering if it was the sub or if i need a different box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 959
you should increase the box volume a bit to about 1.5cu ft per sub for sealed, or 2cu ft each for vented.
you also need a larger amp. that amplifier is too weak for those subs.. they're rated for 650W each.
the reason tehy sound sloppy is that they are underpowered.

Silver Member

Post Number: 960
by the way, a JBL BP1200.1 would fit those subs very well if they are dual 4 Ohm coil subs.
that'd give 600W each

Bronze Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 75
Chas I Installed 2 Adire Audio Shivas into the trunk of A Cavalier.The Shivas are both DVC 8 Ohm Subs and are in a ported box,at first I had 1 US Acoustics USX2100 Amp runnin to both of them but I had to get a second Us Acoustics USX2100 amp cuz the Shivas werent gettin enough power but after I had an amp for each sub and I bridged both amps to their seperate subs I noticed a BIG Difference in SPL.Never noticed any Sloppy bass when I had both subs runnin off one amp maybe you got a dud.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
yeah i really wanted a ported box but i was afraid it would drown out my factory components(even in a sealed box still cant hear my components lol). WOW a bigger amp, i dont think my alternator can handle that. in fact i asked the installer if i should get a bigger amp and he said no cuz the amp was already pounding the hell outta the sub.

i was thinking bout gettin a jbl 600.1(i only have 1 shiva) then use the usx2100 to push some cdt components for the front. but i was afraid 600w might kill the sub. i thought someone had said that the shivas reach their mechanical limit at 300w and could dissipate heat from the coils up to 650w or something(im not an EE). but i guess i should wait for a bigger alternator anyways.

hey hydro, r u using a stock alternator with those 2 amps? yeah i have no complaints about the SPL, theyre plenty loud even in a sealed box. at its max volume my car rattles hellishly. really dont want my back windshield to come loose considering i just recently bought the car lol. 2 shivas in a ported box must be CRAZY!

will a new alternator void the car's factory warranty? when i first bought the car i wanted to get a better alarm with remote starter but the dealers told me it would void the warranty:-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
sh!t i guess i would have to get the bp1200.1 (600w at 4ohms)if the shivas r 8ohm dvc...hehe $300 for the amp $100 for the sub hmmm maybe i can find a us acoustics mono amp...

Silver Member

Post Number: 972
yeah the 1200.1 draws about 114A when it runs at 2 Ohms, which it will in your car.
you'd definately need to look around for an alternator in the 180-200A range.
still, that's probably only about $200-300 for the alternator, and it'll be a terrific investment for that system.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Yea Chas I Installed an High Output Alternator from Delphi into the Cavalier before I put the Shivas in.Those 2 Shivas in a ported box hits hellishly yea but I tried them out and put them in my Grand Prix with all the trunk space it sounded like 8 12's in my trunk He He.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
how many ponies u got in ur cavalier? i was thinking about supercharging my rsx but wasnt sure if it would make a big difference in a 4cylinder.

Silver Member

Post Number: 990
don't bother.
The first time you encounter a real V8, you'll wish you'd saved your money :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
haha of course, theres always gonna be a car thats faster or better than yours just like theres gonna be someone with a better audio system. i was thinking bout waiting till i get a supra to do some mods. whats a nice looking luxury car with some horses under the hood?(under $50k, please dont say bmw) i kinda like the lexus sc300 but theyre kinda ancient now.

Bronze Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 93
lol i have an 86 lincoln town car....i know its friggin ancient and old and decrepit, but it has 5.0L v8 in it and it can put out i love that car and it can be a real luxery car (again) if you put some money into restoring one, dont even need more than like $25k to get one looking and working great i got mine for $1900 with a little less than 100k miles and this thing is awesome, with a new 195a alternator and some spiffed out interior and new paint/suspension and some other crap...

i love this car so much lol and its just so funny to see it comin down the street and people are like where the hell is that bass coming from? i mean yea i have damping in my trunk and door pannels but some leaks out hehe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
sorry that last post was waaaaay off topic....my apologies

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Umm Im gettin a 2004 Pontiac GTO in March for my birthday it has a 5.7 LS1 Supercharged V8 Engine with a 45/55 Differential,comes with Dual Exhaust and Very Nice Sound System.Yea Supras are very nice cars to have might wanna also look at Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R V-Spec while I was over in California I drove my friends and he had all mods done to it couldnt believe the Torque that car had and the cavalier has a 2.2 liter Ecotec Engine 180 Hp stock,got 40 more Hp out of it by upgrading crank, pistons, cam and connecting rods.Looking to put a Turbocharger in it as well as a bigger Intercooler.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
damn 3 cars, u must have some nice cash flow. r skylines hard to get in the US?

yeah bacon lincolns r nice cars but i dont like driving tanks lol. actually the mark VII is pretty nice.

yeah sry i know its off topic

Silver Member

Post Number: 997
the Infinity G35 coupe is sweet.
so is the TL.

I'll keep my '66 426 hemi Charger and the Jeep for now though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
rofl GW... i wanna hurt you now that you mention that lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
Well Im a Restaurant Manager here in Orlando which means I make a big Salary plus I do alot of side jobs for people(building boxes,fixing subs,hooking up systems)and whatever else there is to do.This Summer im opening my own Car Audio Shop in Winter Haven.It helps when my dad is a Lawyer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1010
sounds sweet!
what lines are you planning to carry?
Going for higher end stuff?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Im only looking into companies like JL Audio,Zapco,Kicker,Resonant Engineering,Adire Audio,Infinity,Rockford's 2004 stuff,Directed,Polk Audio,Alpine,JBL,and Sinfoni and other High End companies.Never planning on carrying anything but high end stuff.Pyramid,Legacy,Lanzar,and Pyle etc. can keep their equipment and I think carrying crap brands like that just makes your store look bad

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
hmm having rich parents must be nice:-) yeah owning ur own business can be kinda fun but it can be a lotta work too im sure. lol everyones on the east coast.

i did notice i only have problems with the shivas at higher volumes. at lower volumes they seem to do fine. does that mean they dont work well in a sealed box? u think its cuz 1cu ft is too small for a sealed?(the specs sheet said 1-1.5cu ft)

as far as slot ported boxes, can the same box design work for any 12" sub(ie. volume, size of port). for example will the same box made for a shiva work with a elemental design or a kicker 12" sub? slot ported box volume for a 12" is also 2cu ft?

Anonymous

as long as i see people talken bout cars....this is what i'm gettin.....i hope!!!

2004 Chevy 1500 Ext. Cab w/ a 327
200A Alt. and 2 L5 or L7 10's under backseat

hope..........

Gold Member

Post Number: 1076
chas, there could be a couple reasons for the problems with the Shivas.
1: small boxes
2: amp clips at higher volumes.
clipping can be caused by improper gain settings, as well as a weak alternator.
3: they're underpowered. see #2.

www.bcae1.com has everything you need to calculate new box dimensions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
i had it professionally installed but ill have em take another look at it. would turning the bass boost off help? but yeah im looking into a bigger, ported box. im thinkin it might be the alternator cuz the lights dim only at high volumes.

off on a tangent....has anyone ever gotten car warranties(covering repairs) from online companies? just wondering if theyre legit or not. i heard theyre charge a lot less than the dealers.

Bronze Member

Chas do you have your crossover turned on?If not turn it to Low Pass and adjust it below 60Hz,bass boost too much can cause a sub to Distort but usually If you are powering 1 Shiva with only 300 watts that might be your problem.Get a stronger mono amp like a Kicker 600.1 or a JBL BP600.1.

Bronze Member

yeah amp is set to low pass id have to check to see exact frequency. but arent u using one usx2100 on each shiva too? is it true a sealed box requires more energy than a ported one with the same sub? 8ohm dvc in parallel is 4ohms right? jbl bp600.1 is only 300w at 4ohms. wouldnt i need the bp1200.1?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
btw if my lights already dim with a 300w amp isnt a 600w amp gonna drain my alternator?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1095
if your lights are dimming, the alternator is already too weak, and this could be the root of your problems.
you can go with a larger alternator, or a later alternator and alrger amplifier. the 1200.1 would be great for a pair of Shivas.

Username: Booya

Post Number: 10
I have 2 adire shivas. Iam going to power them with the JBL 1200.1. The only concern that I have is the size of the box that they are going to be put in. Its .88 cubic feet. This is the biggest box i can get that will fit behind the seat. ( without going custom) Glass, If i put some polyfill in, do you think that will pick up the slack for not having enough displacement? I have been looking around on this subject and there seem to be too many ideas about how this works.

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Yea Chas I have 300 watts going to each Shiva right now in a ported box in the cavalier everything is fine no dimming lights or anything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1104
if the boxes are sealed, yeah you should be fine with that volume and some polyfill

you can always build a custom box later to your ideal specs

Bronze Member
Username: Booya

Post Number: 11
ok, cool. Ill do that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
hey hydro im a lil confused. im only runnnin one shiva. even if put the vc in parallel the lowest i could run it is 4 ohms right? if thats true wouldnt the usx2100 amp(300w@4ohm) be the same as a jbl bp600.1(300w@4ohm)?

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Hey Chas I thought u said ur shiva came in Dual 4 ohms my bad if it is Dual 8 ohms like Im assuming then wiring it parallel will give you a 4 ohm load and theres not that big a difference in amps as far as power output goes but the JBL is a Class D amp which means its more efficient while maintaining sometimes less draw than 2-channel amps like the usx2100

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
well...on adire's website they say shiva is only 8ohm dvc right? ur shivas r 8ohm dvc right? the installer told me it was a 4ohm dvc sub but he also said he had it running at 3ohms so im not sure if he has a clue. i figure he must know what hes doing if he installs this stuff all day long.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
do u think gettin a smaller sub thats less power hungry like a 12" eD k-series sub(400w rms) would solve the clipping problem?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1148
you could do that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us