Which is the best option ?

Bronze Member
Username: Bassfreak596

Post Number: 29
which one is a better sub ?

brahma 12" or eclipse sw9122 ?

is brahma cheaper and better ? i know its cheaper but is it better ?

i have ordered for the jbl 600.1 and it should be here this week. currently i am going to run my old sub on that..
if you guys could suggest the best option for it.

thank you!

Bronze Member
Username: Thrust

Post Number: 67
"better" is relative. What do you mean by better? Last longer? pound hardest? sound best? or all of the above? I've heard nothing but great things about Brahma. If you can, find a place where you can listen to them, YOUR ears are the ones that count.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
with good sq also comes spl.. but the reverse isnt true.

so definitely i m looking for 'good' sq !!

with "better" i meant sound better.. now again they wont sound that good if it didnt tickle my bones.. haha..

so tell me a driver which is blended..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
are digital designs good ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
hello ?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 599
Hey Morphine, are you talking about digital amps? I find them good for full range uses but not for subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
nope not digital amps.. 'digital design' .. the brand.. www.ddaudio.com ... the 2500 or 3500 series for jbl 600.1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
this guy really insisted that my search ends here.
i ll trust you for your advice Isaac.

tell me any 12" sub for this amp till $330 n i ll buy that ! what i need is already put up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 623
Hey Morphine, check these out on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18804%26item%3D5735219665 %26

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39777%26item%3D5734914883 %26

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32823%26item%3D5735248595 %26

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32823%26item%3D3766112782 %26

Silver Member

Post Number: 624
Somehow the link paste didn't work, try this one, it's all in one.

"http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39777%26item%3D5734914883 %26"

Username: Djeter108

USA

Post Number: 6
Isaac, i need help. i wanna set up two Kicker Solobaric L7's (2004, 2 0hms each). what will the load be? and can you give me 2 or 3 amps that would work well? money isnt too much of a problem. oh and check out http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/ or http://www.millionbuy.com/ for wholesale prices. also capacitor? 1 farad v. 3 farad? and is it bad to wire your subs in a circuit or w.e. its called (when you wire amp + to sub 1 - to sub 1+ to sub 2 - to sub 2 + to amp -)? any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Silver Member

Post Number: 625
Ok the post is dropping some of the characters.
Try this, type http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39777
then type this symbol (don't add the single quote) '&
then add this, item=5734914883
then type this symbol again '&
followed by this, rd=1

That should take you to a link on eBay for a Kicker 12" sub in a box for $249. It's a nice all in one package as you requested.

USA

Post Number: 7
oh and what i have great speakers so im only worried abt the amp beating my subs so hard that my doors fall off :-) thanks again

USA

Post Number: 8
the link worked for be isaac. thats what i have in the 2 0hm. i have a Boss riot 1500 for the 1 but im getting another sub so obviously i need another amp but actually the set up i have now beats like hell for anyone who wants to know

USA

Post Number: 9
ok so if i wire my subs parallel ill get a 1 ohm load. but can i also wire them in a series then?

Silver Member

Post Number: 626
Hey djeter108, if you get 2 Kicker Solobaric L7 2ohm DVC, it'll give you 2 ohms in series or .5ohms in parallel. Not that useful cause most amps will go as low as 1ohms. You might want to get 4ohms DVC instead. That'll give you 4ohms in series and 1ohms in parallel.
Here are 3 amps that'll support 1ohms.
RF T10001BD 750W rms @2ohms, 1000W rms @1ohms.
Kicker KX1200.1 1200W rms at @1ohms.
Orion 1200D 725W rms @2ohms, 1200W rms @1ohms
JBL BP1200.1 1200W @2ohms.
With the above amps, you'll need 1.5F - 2F capacitors.
Your question on sub wiring is a bit confusing to follow. Is your question above aobut adding the amp's + terminal to sub1's plus, sub1's - to sub2's + and sub2's - to amp's - terminal right?
If you did that, you're basically wiring the subs in series. Whether you wire your subs in series/parallel doesn't matter to the amp as long as you meet the amp's ohm requirements.
FYI, all of the amps above are over $400 dollars. If however you need something cheaper, try Audiobahn 2300HCT/MTX 6500D.

USA

Post Number: 10
thank you, i meant wiring in series, couldnt remember the word. and what abt sq with series vs. parallel. and i already have 1 L7 thats 2 ohms so should i get another 1 thats 2 ohms or 4 ohms?
and sorry im retarted compared to you. thanks for all your help

Silver Member

Post Number: 628
Hey djeter, if you already have 1 2ohm L7, then get another one that's identical. You can then turn it into 1ohm by connecting the voice coils in parallel (pos t pos and neg to neg). Now you'll have 2 subs rated 1 ohm each. Connect them in series to form 2ohms. Now you can use it with 2ohm stable amps.
If however, you're planning to get 2amps, one for each sub, then you can use it in the 1ohm mode.
There is no SQ difference between series and parallel wiring. It is only used to match the amp's ohm requirements.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 11
thanks for all your help, id just like to clarify. i understand how to get my subs to the 2 ohm in series. then should i get an amp that RMS at 1500 at 2 ohms or would that be overkill?

Silver Member

Post Number: 631
Nothing's over kill as long as you use self control. My amp is 2000W rms, but I never turn the volume up to the max cause I know it'll kill my car and the sub.
Remember, most amps will operate fine as long as you don't reach their max setting. The HU will distort near the max volume setting, so get an amp that can deliver clean power before you get to that stage.
Clean power never kills subs, it's always distortion/clipping.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 12
ok so a would a rocford 10001D power them well? and jw what sub do u have?

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 13
im not actually worried abt overpowering the sub, more underpowering it. id like to find a good amp for a decent price

Silver Member

Post Number: 633
Hey djeter108, yes RF 10001BD is a great amp and it will more than power your subs. That amp comes with a remote bass control. With it, you can adjust the bass to suit your taste.
I have MA Audio 18" 320oz magnet subwoofer. You won't find too many of those. Thanks to the heavy magnet, every bass goes right through the car chassis, well it feels like it.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 14
hahahaha sounds delicious. im sorry to be so persistant but im like that. oh well. a few last things and i should be out of your hair for now. I have a '97 Civic. will i need a double alternator or a new battery or will capacitors work? also, about the amp, just for interest sake, how would the Kenwood Excelon 811D power my subs? it rms at 919 at 2ohms. oh and just for conversation, have you seen the new SOLO-X???? absolutely amazing. i want to hear one sooo badly. ive only heard stories so far, but maybe santa could hook me up in a couple years.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 15
of course in my endless search for answers i have one more. about installation kits, im totally in the dark. how does this look: http://www.millionbuy.com/adbckit100w.html

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 16
isaac, im done with questions abt my sytem, but i was just interested in the other specs of urs. amp headunit and such

Silver Member

Post Number: 636
Hey djeter, if you're going to get RF t10001bd amp, you won't need Kenwood at all. Besides it's rated around 600W rms @2ohms. I doubt you'll get that much power from kenwood amps. I've used them before, not the greatest.
As for your alternator, you will need HO version. Try 4alterstart.com. They should be able to hook you up with a 170A - 200A HO alternator.
For every 1000W peak, you need 1F capacitor. So try 1.5F - 2F cap for your car.
The power wiring kit you posted above is not good enough. You need 4gauge wiring kit. Try walmart, they have some cheap ones. Don't worry about the price, wires are wires. You can use most of the parts from that walmart kit except the rca cable. Get a separate one that's shielded and directional. This will help cut down noise pickup.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 17
isaac, thanks for all your help so far. but wow this is getting mighty expensive. is the alternator really necessary? and abt the kenwood, i was thinking of it as a replacement for price. any amps that are cheaper?

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 18
glasswolf, could i get an opinion from you as well? looking at getting 2 12" Solobaric L7s (2 ohms) and an amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 641
Hey djeter108, if you're planning to crank up the bass, then yes you will need HO alternator. If not, you will have alternator problem.
Personally, I find that Kenwood is almost like Sony. They overrate their power numbers. Like Sony, they post 1000W on their amp. If you actually try it, you won't get more than 450W, and that's with the amp shutting down from heat @4ohm load.
If you want to save money, try MTX. They're cheap in price and underrated in power.
As for my system, I have JVC KD DV5000 DVD/MP3 HU, Audiobahn A4125HCT 4 channel 2000W rms power amp, Jensen 350W rms 2 channel amp, MTX 2 channel amp, surround sound processor 5.1 dts/dolby digital, 18" 320oz magnet sub, and 10.1 speakers in the car (.1 being the sub).
This is why I tell people it sounds as good as the home stereo.

Bronze Member

IN USA

Post Number: 26
i found a refurbished MTX 6500D at http://www.millionbuy.com/mtx6500rb.html and i was wondering if i should go with that or look for a brand new one. thanks for the input

Silver Member

Post Number: 676
Hey djeter, have you tried eBay? Some of them are in almost new condition and go for $125.
I'd try eBay first before paying $239. Don't forget to get remote bass control for it.

Bronze Member

IN USA

Post Number: 27
thanks a million, and this will power both of my kickers wired together? or will i have to get two?

Silver Member

Post Number: 678
Hey djeter, since your kickers are 2ohms dvc, you can connect each sub in parallel for 1ohms then connec them in series for 2ohms total. The amp will then bush them both to over 700W rms. If you have HO alternator along with cap, your voltage will be close to 14.4v.

Bronze Member

IN USA

Post Number: 28
noticed something scary today. i was listening to music with the subs up and i heard a rattling noise in my front drivers side speaker. i turned off the sub and it went away. when i turned it back on it didn't sound anymore. then i left it and when i was driving home i heard it again. did the same thing, turned sub off for a minute, turned back on and it was fine. what did i do?

Silver Member

Post Number: 717
Whoa, when that happens, does it stop as soon as you turn off the amp? Are your front speakers powered from HU or from a different amp?

Bronze Member

IN USA

Post Number: 29
speakers powered by HU. I have the remote bass control, so yeah it turns off when i turn off the amp. also, i have noticed my car rattling a lot in the past couple of days. also, it happened both times on one song. it's not part of the song, i know that for sure.

BucketNMop
Unregistered guest
Sounds like you forgot to deaden.
there goes another 100-200 bucks....

Silver Member

Post Number: 720
So does the rattling sound come from your front driver side only? What about the passenger side? Is that one okay?
Any from the rear speakers? When your car rattles, is it on a specific part of the song? If you cued back to the same track, can it be repeated? Are your subs making cone movement without any bass note? If so, you might need a sub sonic filter, or you could be picking up some noise somewhere.
Check all your cables carefully.

BucketNMop
Unregistered guest
Has nuffin to do with subsonic...
most rattles come from 70-200 hz approx...

Bronze Member

IN USA

Post Number: 30
i'll cheack up on all this but:
only front driver side. none from rear speakers. not to seem stupid but it rattles when the bass hits the hardest.yes it can be repeated but im not sure if its in the same spot. yes my sub is making bass notes, i can feel it in my chest. my groud wire has a little bit of a bulge coming out. like such: . again, i'll make sure abt all of this in the morning, dont want to wake my neigbors up. also, it only comes abt at higher volumes.
image/bmpUpload
groundwire.bmp (72.9 k)

BucketNMop
Unregistered guest
Dude...You didnt have rattles before you installed
a sub...correct?
Its because your car isnt sound deadened.
either get used to it, or get your
car deadened.

Bronze Member

IN USA

Post Number: 31
okay. im getting my trunk dynamatted and i guess my car deadened. i didnt damage the speaker tho, did i? i don't care abt getting it deadened, nething to better my car. but id be pissed if i f*** my speaker tho

BucketNMop
Unregistered guest
You said you got rattling only when you had the subs on...
if you seem to be having rattling only when your subs
are on...I wouldnt think its a speaker problem.
if you deaden your doors and trunk,
I should think your problem will be solved.

Bronze Member

IN USA

Post Number: 34
ill prolly sound like a retard, but i found out it was my change drawer making the rattling :-). it was right next to the speaker. oops.

Help2
Unregistered guest
lol...it happens dude.
youll know better next time...
but You should still deaden your
car like BucketNMop said...
one of the best investments you can make
in car audio IMO

djeter1088
Unregistered guest
hey i can't connect for some reason, but this is djeter. is there a way to wire both of my 2 ohm kickers together to get a 1 ohm load so i can use a 1 ohm amp to power both?

Silver Member

Post Number: 833
Hey djeter, if your kicker subs are 2ohms DVC, then it's not possible. You'll need 4ohms DVC to get 1ohm.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us