Infinity vs. Alpine

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
Which would sound better SPL and SQ wise, a pair of Infinity 12.1D subs or a pair of Alpine SWR-1221D subs running off of a JBL BP600.1 amp @ 2 ohms?

Username: Lostnconfused

Far Far Away, I Forgot USA

Post Number: 9
Both are good subs I feel the Type Rs have a better balance between SQ and SPL though; I find the infinitys to be on the light side of SPL output.

MadFatChickKiller
Unregistered guest
R Types all the way.

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 317
Rs

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
What if I am getting infinity front and rear speakers, would the infinity subs sound better than the R's with that setup or should I still go with the R's? Another thing, do the R's really sound that much better than the S's? Like do they have a lot better SQ and SPL than the S's?

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
What if I am getting infinity front and rear speakers, would the infinity subs sound better than the R's with that setup or should I still go with the R's? Another thing, do the R's really sound that much better than the S's? Like do they have a lot better SQ and SPL than the S's?

Doug W.
Unregistered guest

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
I think the Type R subs sound a lot better then the Infinity subs and yes they do sound much better then the Type S subs all around.

Gold Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1147
i think i might be the only one here to actually say the 12.1's are better...more punch and infinity makes a better speaker overall, awesome SQ and they can definately get damn loud...

right amp and box these can easily hit upper 140s

i just havent had all that great experiences with type-r's or alpine speakers in general...infinity on the other hand..

Sucubus
Unregistered guest
Theyre very similar.
Infinitys have a lil more power handling.
Alpines will work in a little smaller of a box.
blah blah blah....
its pretty much a wash.
I think type-rs can be had a little cheaper
on average, and Ive heard sound good many times.
but theyre very touchy to clipping, and they
have a higher failure rate(bearly) compared to the infinitys.
Id say get the infinitys unless youre going
to get the Alpines for cheaper, and at a shop
that gives replacement warranty (Ultimate Electronics)

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
You have a prejudice overall against Alpine subs so ive read on various posts bacon lol.

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1155
oh no im not lol

their type x speakers are absolutely incredible...
their amps arent bad at all

their head units and signal processing is some of the best you can get period

i'm running an alpine 7894 head unit and my brother has alpine 9815 with mrd1000 amp and type-x components off a clarion amp...damn impressive setup

i just think comparing the kappa perfect 12.1s to type-r's, the 12.1s will outperform type-r's

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1156
o against their subs...

no, like sucubus said, type-rs are very sensative to any clipping at all, and i just havent had good experiences with type-r's and having 450w rms on them (should b able to take it fine) and the spider tore on one and the voice coil uncoiled on another one so i gave up...

given its clean power, you can put a ton on speakers

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2673
I personally prefer the Infinities as well, SPL of the Infinity is actually a little better if done right. SQ is also better IMO.

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
I can get the Infinity's for about $210 from my buddy who works at ciruit city and I guess the type R's for about $245 off ebay but my buddy is checking to see if he can get me the type R's with his discount. So with that in mind which should I go with?

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
the $245 for the type R's includes shipping and the subs are new.

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
Yeah my buddy can't get me the discount on the R's so I can get a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfects for about $210 from my buddy who works at ciruit city and a pair of Alpine type R's for about $245 brand new shipped off ebay. So with that in mind which should I go with?

Bronze Member
Username: Businessboy

Post Number: 85
INFINITY OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 21
http://allcarstereo.com/prod_lst.php?id_cat=120&num=176
go there, type r subs for like 125. shipping no idea..you check it out.

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
or i can get them off ebay for $245 shipped, those would be $250 + whatever shipping and handling is so why would I do that. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the Infinities because I have heard nothing but good things about them.

MadFatChickKiller
Unregistered guest
Alot has to depend on personal preferance. Not saying that the people hear don't know what they are talking about, but some people have prejudice against certain companies so of course they will say their products are no good. If I were you I would get your buddy at circut city to have you in the store and listen to both subs, then see which you like better.

Personally, I run two Type r's and have never had any problems.

Big D
Unregistered guest
Type X awesome??? not quite, they are one of the most ineffcient subs on the market.

Bronze Member
Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 36
no mate - their awesome. maybe a little wasteful, but awesome none the less.

Bronze Member
Username: Wojopro

Post Number: 36
Type x's are just a lil too pricey... But are outstanding... The type r's are more my style.

Unregistered guest
What's the diff. between 4ohm and 2ohm...which is better for type-r

Bronze Member
Username: Wojopro

Post Number: 62
Depends on what amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
4 and 2ohm is just a measurement of resistance; depending on the DV coils and how many subs you have will determine what type of amp output requirements you are going to need.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us