Sound diffrence between ported and sealed box

Username: Jus_ill

Post Number: 3
what is the sound diffrence between ported and sealed boxes?

Username: Daniel_s

Post Number: 23
sealed more accurate sound, ported i believe louder but not as good SQ

Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 65
ported is mostly for SPL use, its sloppier than sealed....sealed will give you a tighter, accurate bass.....if you're going for like hip hop bass, a 15" in a ported box will do that. if you listen to classical, or jazz or soft rock, 10" in small sealed enclosures will be good for you

Username: Yhammack

Post Number: 6
It really depends on the sub and how you build the box. You can tune a ported box down to a real low frequency like 28 Hz or so (depends on sub) and keep it very clean. Keep in mind that some subs are built for SPL, some for SQ. Just depends on your listening preference. Granted when you go from a 10 to a 15 there will be a noticeable difference in accuracy, either ported or sealed.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 936
sealed will give a flat response down to subsonic ranges.
ported is about +3dB louder than sealed, at the ported frequency, but ports tend to add coloration to the sound due to harmonics, which can give undesirable results.

Ported boxes are a means to bet more SPL without buying larger amplifiers. It's really a means of getting "cheap bass" if using a sealed box isn't giving you the SPL you want.
The same applies to bandpass. more SPL, but not a flat, accurate response.

Username: Jortiz83

Post Number: 1
what kind of box should i use for my JL Audio 12w7... a ported or a sealed box???

Username: Jestoner18

Post Number: 2
I've heard a W7 in a ported box and it sounded extremly nice. The noises the car made were some of the worst rattling sounds i've ever heard in my life (even with dynomat) He had the box done by HiFi house and they only sell top of the line equipment. So if that helps to know they used a ported box then there ya go.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1282
slot-vented for a 12W7
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us