What type of amp should i buy??

Username: Jmln74

Post Number: 1
I am planning on buying a Kicker RS5c 5-1/4 Component System for my back speakers, front i still haven't made teh decision on, i am looking at getting a Sony CDX-M850MP In Dash CD/MP3 Player, i have a kicker S10L5 900 watt sub, and i was wondering first off, should i get 2 amps for this system, one for the speakers and the headunit and the second for the sub, or just one big amp. i was thinking about a fosgate amp, or a kicker amp, i'm willing to save teh money to buy quality, but i also saw a pyle 2000 wattt 4ch amp, if anyone can help me out i would appriciate it. i dont know much about what else i need. thank you!!!!!

Username: Zen936

Post Number: 36
Get the Kicker KX700.5 five channel amp. That's what I'm using. You ain't gonna regret. With all your other components, it's gonna complement your system well....except the Sony HU. For your front, you might as well use Kicker as well.

Forget the Sony. Look for either Eclipse, Alpine, Clarion or Pioneer (Premier) HUs. New Fosgate stuff ain't worth it.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 914
screw sony and pyle.
kicker components are good.
look at Alpine for a good head unit with a built in crossover and EQ (CDA-9815) and use either the above mentioned 5 channela mp, or use a Kicker mono amp for the sub, and a 4 channel amp for fronts/rears.
sounds like a good system.

Username: Jmln74

Post Number: 2
thank you both for your help, i am wondering one thing: would i be better off going with the kicker 5ch amp or would i be better served with 2 amps?

Post Number: 40
Hmm...which makes me wonder. Would two amps (4 channel and mono) take up more power than a 5-channel amp, mathematically and theoratically speaking that is? If it does, then that's one reason to get a multi channel amp.

When I used two amps, lights dimmed, but now that I'm on the KX700.5, it balances out. My only dislike is the bass control on the amp. You have to hook it up close to your HU. Most HUs have bass control functions already.

Post Number: 930
using separate amps gives you a better option for upgrading, or matching the amp output to that of what the speakers are rated to handle.
two separate amps should be more efficient since the sub would be handled by a class-D amp, but in reality, multi-channel amps are in general, weaker, so you'll use less power since you'll have less power being put out. When you use separate amps, you tend to use larger amps as well.

end result is this:
a single multi-channel amp is a good solution for cost and space.
separate matched amps are a better way to go if you want the most performance and flexibility out of the system.

Post Number: 41
So in other words, if power is a big concern, then one can opt for a multi-channel amp. I think the KX700.5 does come with a class-D 5th channel. So in terms of 5 channel amps, if we plan to get one, go for the top brands so you'd have no regrets.

Well either way, as you would say, you won't go wrong by choosing a Kicker amp. Thanks GW.

Post Number: 42
So in other words, if power is a big concern, then one can opt for a multi-channel amp. I think the KX700.5 does come with a class-D 5th channel. So in terms of 5 channel amps, if we plan to get one, go for the top brands so you'd have no regrets.

Well either way, as you would say, you won't go wrong by choosing a Kicker amp. Thanks GW.

Post Number: 43

Post Number: 44

Post Number: 45
Sorry for the multiple postings GW. The Novarg worm is really causing havoc on our ISPs here!

Post Number: 939
wow
looks that way
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us