Enclosure to large? Glass/Fishy/Jonathan/anyone please help!

Poopsicle
Unregistered guest
Hey, I have two 12" Alpine Type Rs and a Qlogic dual 12" sealed/ported box from Best Buy. Alpine says I should use a 0.7 -- 1.0 cu. ft. enclosure but the box I got is 1.25 cu. ft.; is this bad? What can I do to fix this and keep the same box if it's a problem?

poopsicle
Unregistered guest
anyone?

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
Oh belive me you would have to make your own box to get 1.0 cu ft youll never find any online dealers with 1.0 cu ft for 12's, but let me look up your sub specs, the displacement of the sub itslef could get you closer to the 1.0 cu ft...

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
ok its 0.163^3ft. ok, I belive thats .16 cu ft of displacement so 1.25-0.16 is 1.09
Well in my opinion I think most companys facter in the displacement of a subwoofer so they make 1.25cuft, ok now if you bought a .88 box - .16 is .72 cuft But smaller box's are built for SPL or so im told, so a bigger box means better SQ I would think. and you might want to goto Wal*Mart and goto the crafting department and get 2lbs polyfil, put half in each chamber. so 1lbs per chamber. Thats what I did for my BB 1.25QLogic box.

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 205
I thought polyfill makes the sub feel like its in an even larger enclosure? Glass maybe you should help with this one.

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 206
Then again the polyfill would take up volume hmm... Well if you do need it you can get a 5Lb box from walmart for 8 bucks poopsicle.

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 36
quote: "...and a Qlogic dual 12" sealed/ported box from Best Buy."

so which is it, sealed or ported?

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
Its both.
Theres a port on top, can be sealed with the cap that orignaly comes with it, just screw it on or off.

Help
Unregistered guest
You can add pieces of wood...eg 2x4 chunks to the
inside of the box , and glue/caulk them down.
Just calculate the volume of each piece and
subtract from the whole volume.

Polyfill is not the answer here.

On a side note...
A small sealed box is not for SPL necessarily
a small box tightens the suspension of the speaker
which allows for more power handling.
however, you lose low freq response.

Username: Skrilluh

Post Number: 7
You can add pieces of wood...eg 2x4 chunks to the
inside of the box , and glue/caulk them down.
Just calculate the volume of each piece and
subtract from the whole volume.

Thats the best way to go about it like Help said

poopsicle
Unregistered guest
Will a larger enclosure such as mine hurt the subwoofers? What are the effects of an over sized box?

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 50
the larger box will not directly damage your subs, but it will make them less "idiot proof". in exchange for deeper bass response, you will loose some power handling, so you'll need to monitor how much power you give them. if you push them too hard, you may reach the subs' mechanical limits, and this can be bad. your ears will let you know when you need to turn things down.

the good thing is that overall efficiency will be improved. in other words, your subs will now play louder with the watts you feed them - you just can't give them quite as many as you used to.

Bronze Member
Username: Xxx

ZagrebCroatia

Post Number: 11
You could also get a cheap plastic bag and fill it with sand and place it on the bottom of the box. That would take the volume out real nice, if you don't like the sound of smaller box just take out the bags.

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 51
except for testing purposes, i'm not an advocate for putting objects inside the box to take up space (bracing excluded) because it doesn't make much practical sense. either use the 1.25 volumes as they are, or buy/build a new box that's smaller so you can save space.

personally, i'd try the larger box to hear how it sounds. you might like it.

Gold Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1060
you should not have any problems with a box like that, just be careful when applying power to the subs because in that box, they need quite a bit less power to get moving at full mechanical excursion, so i would be weary of putting more than 200-250w rms on those type-r's in that box

but you should be fine doing that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us