Break-in periods?

John Heath
Unregistered guest
I have heard that when you buy new subs that they need to be "broke in." Is this true, and if so how would I do this?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2607
Yes, set the gains correctly, and listen to the sub at roughly about half volume 20-40 hours. The reason you do this is to loosen the suspension and burn off any excess glue that may have been left on the voice coils.

Help
Unregistered guest
Wouldnt the glue get burned off regardless?
and I dont see how running it at half
volume loosens the suspension any differently than
running it at full volume...

Bronze Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 27
goto the manufactures website and see if its on there. Otherwise email them. They will help you.

John Heath
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the help guys. And I did e-mail the manufacture a couple of days ago and I haven't heard anything yet. I'll let you know if they send me anything.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2613
The problem is that if there is excess glue, then the voice coils may not be able to release enough heat, and if run at full RMS thermal power it could potentially damage the coils. The suspension will loosen up regardless, but personally I prefer to take it easy to avoid any potential alignment issues in the future and to give a speaker a soft break in. I doubt you'd run a car full blast after spending 20-30k for a new one, I treat my audio equipment the same way.

Bronze Member
Username: Therainman

Post Number: 11
I jam my sh!t fukin all the way i love to feel the music. I have 4 cerwin vega 12's floor standing speakers in my room hooked to 2 carver 300 watt @ 8 ohm amps then into my comp. i get 142.1 db in bass @ 51 cycles

i jamed to breaking benjamin - so cold @ 159 everything jammin...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2617
"and I dont see how running it at half
volume loosens the suspension any differently than
running it at full volume."
When you're running full volume, you're pushing more excursion to the sub, and with a tight suspension, the sub is controlled differently, and if the sub is thrown out of the magnetic gap, then you may have potential problems. Theile small parameters are measured after a sub is broken in, when it is fresh out of the box the suspension is tighter and motor system performs a tad differently, and if it stayed like that, it would require a different enclosure because of the difference in the suspension and motor damping. The less volume you use, the less damage that you will potentially inflict on the speakers/subs you're using.

Help
Unregistered guest
Youre going to have problems if you throw the
VC outside the gap whether or not the suspension
is broken in...
Also, regarding alignment...youre probably going to have issues with alignment if youre not treating the equipment properly. Just because a speaker is broken in does not mean its invulnerable to alignment problems.
So, if you run at a "safe" full volume, which you should be doing anyhow...I dont really see a
need to break a speaker in, regarding the alignment issue.
Then again, Im an idiot.
:-)

John Heath
Unregistered guest
I think I would rather play it safe than sorry. I don't think I will have any problems since the amp I have right now only puts out 180 rms to each sub, and they are rated for 700. I will get a new amp as soon as I can but I wanted to make sure the subs would be ready for the extra juice.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2618
Yeah, but IMO it's better to wait until a sub breaks in, that way the suspension compliance is proper and better suited to the enclosure it's in. There are many people that blow subs by pushing them too hard to begin with, I really recommend breaking them in for everyone to avoid potential problems. Every manufacturer will say differently though, you should always check the manual, but most recommend a softer break-in for 20-40 hours. I was just saying the sub may be more vulnerable to potential problems with the suspension being different, whether or not it could damage the sub depends on what kind of sub you're talking about. Misalignment and throwing the sub out of the gap will damage any sub if pushed to the extremes, I totally agree with you there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us