Seperation in box or not?! Help needed!

Username: Skrilluh

Post Number: 1
I made a box using the manufacture dimensions using 1 1/4" MDF board , after I built the box I noticed things werent fitting quite right. I measured the MDF and to my surprise , 1 3/4" So now I'm stuck and can't take away from the volume. I have a box for dual 12" subs , it is one box with a seperation keeping them from combining air. I was thinking of taking the middle seperation out but dont know what the difference is between seperated or not seperated , if you could give me any details that would be great.

Post Number: 2
If I do take out the middle seperation , I am going to recalculate and add a couple braces to give more volume to equal it all out. I'm just afraid I will lose SPL and SQ by removing it , any info is very much appreciated. Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 72
I'm sure someone else could tell you if they can share the same air space, but you could create the illusion of a larger box by putting some polyfill inside.

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 12
as long as the subs are wired together (mono), sharing a volume shouldn't cause any problems with their operation, but the remember the separation also acts as an internal brace. if you remove it, the box may want to flex under heavy SPLs.

Silver Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 117
u are facing a serious problem. in case one of the subs gets disconnected, ur forseeing a probable damage to one of the subs, becasue the other is pulling one of the subs with it. also, in case one sub is working a lil harder, or maybe getting slightly a lil bit more power, u get unwanted distortion in your sound, kinda like when u have a small air leak in ur box. i recommend, if u only want that few space that taking out the divider willl create, u should rather go with polyfill. that will basically cause ur subs to sound similar as in the box with the higher volume.

Username: Howlow

Post Number: 7
dont run 2 subs under the same chamber in your box. BIG mistake, nick's polyfill idea would be the best solution to your problem, or re-make your box using the correct thickness, but keep the divider in there.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5474
audibly, there's no difference between the subs being separated or sharing space.
having them isolated is a bit safer if one sub fails.

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 19
don't listen to these guys telling you NOT to run the two subs in the same air space.

there is absolutely NO WAY that you can damage either sub if one is disconnected.

once again, if you're wiring both subs together (mono), there's absolutely NO WAY one sub can get more power than the other, so you don't have to worry about any distortion.

all this stuff about "what if" you wire it up wrong, or if a wire becomes disconnected, or feeding uneven power and stuff... COME ON! use common sense and do things right the first time - then you don't have to worry about stupid things like that happening.

Post Number: 5
ok I have redone my box , doing a little adjusting to the port size and the divider size but still keeping it in there , I caulked all around using 100% silicone caulk and well thats about it , my goal was 3.5 cu ft per chamber but it came out to 3.47 so I adjusted the ports accordingly. Thank you all for your help , if I have anymore problems Ill be back , you were very helpful.

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 22
you are aware that by adjusting the ports, you are changing the tuning frequency of the enclosure, right?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us