Db loss from explorer to riviera

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 253
if someone hit 144.9db with 1 12" brahma with a Revolution 1500 amp, and a 3 cubic foot box tuned to 25 Hz, how much lower would you guess my db would be with a 3ft^3 box at 35 Hz on jbl bp1200.1 in my riviera. I'm hoping to hit at least 130's. Is that a realistic hope?

yep
Unregistered guest
130dB is a very realistic goal...actually its very conservative.

if your car even has decent cabin gain you should do mid 130s

yep
Unregistered guest

yep
Unregistered guest

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 254
anyone else have any guesses about around where I should hit db wise?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2567
Depends on your vehicle, it's possible to hit low 140s though. Saying your box would be a higher tune compared to the guy with the 25 hz tune, you'd hit more SPL with the same vehicle and same power. A JBL 1200.1 should be more than enough to push the Brahma to full stroke, so I'd if your vehicle is similar to that guy's you'd be close to hitting what he's hitting.

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 255
rofl, well no the vehicles aren't similiar, explorer compared to riviera
suv compared to trunk

basically I just wanted to know if I'd lose more than 10db or so because of that.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2581
Well, just saying in a similar situation, if your car was vented from the trunk to the cabin, SPLs would be pretty close, yours actually might have a little more cabin gain.

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 256
so if I took my 6x9's out so that my trunk vented through the openings it could actually boost my spl into mid 140's?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2582
I don't know if it would be a huge boost because that depends on the car, but removing rear deck speakers and material from your back seat (panels, etc. and just leaving the foam) can boost SPL by a big amount, 6 db or more in some vehicles.

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 24
jeremie, what year riv?

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 261

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 25
just remove the insulation behind the rear seat armrest. there is a leather flap that separates the armest hole from the trunk. remove that, and you've got a big vent from the trunk into the cabin.

so how do you like your riv? i've got a '98 and i wouldn't trade it for anything. also, if you are interested in increasing the performance, let me know. i know a few tricks for getting these cars to move pretty quickly.

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 262
sweet, yeah, I want to remove the governer and whatnot. I love it, got mine for 5000 from a dealer because it had high miles but you'd never know it when you see the car. it's very nice. I'd like to know some of those tricks for sure.

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 26
the governor is built into the PCM. i haven't yet found anyone who sells reprogramed chips for the riv, but i also don't have a need to go over 108mph.

an easy way to get 20+hp is to buy a 3.4" overdrive pulley for the supercharger for about $130. also required is a high-flow t-stat and cooler range spark plugs to lower knock for about $30 more. slap in a K&N panel ($60) and rip out all the junk in the airbox and you will feel a noticable difference. my 0-60mph time went from 7.5 sec to 6.9 sec. not bad for a little over $200 invested.

if you want to get serious, there are headers, cams, rocker arms, high-flow throttle bodies, intercoolers, and bigger blowers available. there's just an incredible aftermarket for the 3.8L SC v6. it is really not hard to get over 300 hp and 300 lb-ft at the wheels if you have the resources.

i know a guy in marion, ohio who has a '96 riviera on spray running 12.87 sec quarter miles consistantly. i also know of a buick regal from marysville with the same engine pulling 11.5 sec quarter miles with all-season tires! i've seen this car up close, and you can't tell it's not stock.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us