Advice: Do I need A new HO Alt and/or Battery?

Anonymous

Hi all. I just posted this on the Accessories forum, but I think that the Amps are the key in my question so maybe someone in here can help me even better? I'm hoping I can get some good advice.

Ok.. I have a 98 Nissan Frontier truck. 2.4 liter 4cyl deal. I just replaced the factory stereo with an Alpine cdm-9835 head unit. Had Tweeter replace the stock speakers with a pair of Boston Acoustics Pro60 6.5 drivers. This will be powered by a Jl 300/2 amp. I'm also having one 12 inch sub installed powered by a JL 500/1 that was passed on to me (Practically new condition yey!).

To top things off my factory installed fog lights cracked on me a while ago, so Im springing for some PIAA driving/fog combo lights.

With all this new stuff.. should I consider getting a HO Alt? I've already decided to get a new battery anyway, probably an Optima Red top starting battery from sears.

I'm worried about the stress on the stock alt though. Should I even be concerned with this setup? I don't tend to BLAST my music. So I wouldnt be bumping up the volume like crazy.

Half of this installation is alreay in, the head unit and speakers (minus the JL 300/2) are already in. And today I was listening tomusic while I was washing my carpeting (Truck off running on Accesory) and my Battery gave out.

Any things I should consider upgrading as well? Battery wiring etc? I'm having Tweeter do all the install for me and its warrantied, but If I should have them take extra steps in some other areas I would love to know. Thanks all!

(Seether)

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 170
I run two 12" Type R subs, three amps, 4 6x9s, 2 6.5s, a CB Radio, A radar detector, extended driving lights, A 400W power inverter with a cell phone charger and a Laptop, A W.A.R antenna setup, and Internal Cold cathode interior lighting. I use a regular Sears DieHard Gold Battery and stock alternator and don't have any problems. The only way to tell if you need one or not is to install it all and see.

Anonymous

Ah! That is very good to hear Damien. Yes.. I think this battery was due for a change anyway, the one that died on me this morning while I was listening to tunes with the truck not running.

I was just worried that damage could occur to my new toys if my power supply to all of it may not have been up to snuff. But I guess no worries huh. Wait and see then?

(Seether)

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 176
Damage is a possibility but you wont really know if your going to NEED a replacement tell you get that stuff in their. When you hook up your stuff monitor your voltage while the car is on (should be at least 13.8V +). If your lights dim extremely low on you that is also another sign. Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us