Seems the Sub is running a bit quiet

Biggamehunter
Unregistered guest
I finally got my sub and amp working not long ago, (thanks Damien Robert), but now I feel like it's too quiet. The amp is 390 watts peak, the sub is 400 watts peak. I currently have my amp's input set on almost max (about 5/6 of the way), the bass boost is On, and the LPF is on at around 90-100. My head unit's max volume is 50, and I usually listen to it at around 15-20. Listening at this volume, I almost don't notice my subwoofer at all. I've brought the volume up to around 30-35, and turned on some songs with bass on them, and the subwoofer sounds very nice, hits hard, but at regular volume I almost don't even notice it. Can someone help, please?

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 169
well you should never o by an amps peak output, most likely the rms output of the amp is of low wattage and keep you crossover tuned at 80 hertz an nver turn the gain pass 3 quarters way. Its not a volume controll if you have to turn the gain up that loud the amp is most likey not powerful.

Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 6
quote: "I've brought the volume up to around 30-35, and turned on some songs with bass on them, and the subwoofer sounds very nice, hits hard, but at regular volume I almost don't even notice it."

does your head unit have a loudness control? if so, try turning it on.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2563
390 watts peak is a very weak amplifier, you can assume at MOST that the RMS value will be half of that, which is 180W RMS. If it's a cheaper amp, honestly I'd say you're lucky if the amp puts out 100-150W RMS. Also, is the amplifier a mono Class D amp, or a 2 channel? What kind of amp is it? Your head unit preout may be very weak, it may need to be set with the sub level up for you to set the gain to the proper level.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us