DID I waste my money??????

Username: Kidmedstudent

Post Number: 1
I just bought a new system for my 99 contour svt. I got an eclipse 5444 h/u ($400), eclipse sub 8122($300), a Zapco 650.6 amp($750), mb quarts rce268 components ($290), and mb's for the rear ($150). All together I spent $2400 with wiring and box, etc. I wasnt looking for an expensive system, and dont want a lot of bass. Just clean music. Should i switch out the sub for a JL 12wo with a smaller JL amp, and also get cheaper interior speakers? I could shave off probably $700. Is it worth the extra money? Is the Zapco amp overkill??? Thank you for any advice!!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2528
My recommendation is this:

1) Replace the front components with 6.5" components. 6x8's suck for sound quality compared to a round speaker. 6x8s have uneven stress points, a chance of cone flex, equalling added distortion and less SQ.

2) Ditch the rear fill. It's a waste of money and has a negative effect on the sound quality because the acoustic phase is interfered with. Get your money back and spend it on front components. Taking the rear speakers out also allows the subs air to vent into the cabin, improving SQ and SPL from the subwoofer.

3) The Reference series components are pretty good, but personally I think that you could have gotten better components. If you like MB Quart, you can find the Premiums online for the same price as you got those References. You can also find the Q series online for around $480, by the time you drop the rear speakers, you could save up a little more and spend that money on the Q series components.

3) Zapco amps are fantastic, but that 6 channel isn't well matched to your equipment. Personally, in your situation I'd get a Zapco 350.2 for front components and a Zapco 500.1 for the subwoofer (if it's the DVC model, if it's SVC I'll recommend you a different amp). You can find those two online for a little more than you spent on the 6 channel. Whether you'd consider that amp to be overkill is debatable, it is a fantastic amp and will give you years upon years of service.

4) The Eclipse sub is much better than JL W0s IMO(even 2 of them) for SQ and SPL, and you'll save more space. I say keep it, I think you'll be happier with it than the W0s.

5) If you want more money in your pocket and have decided to try to get a better value and not spend any more, then I'd recommend Eclipse amps over the Zapcos, they're cheaper and still very well built with excellent SQ. As far as components, Infinity Kappa Perfects, Jl Audio XR series, CDT Classic or HD series, and Diamond Audio HEX series are all relatively cheap and sound excellent (better than the References IMO).

Overall, I think you could have done a little better with your money, but you didn't do awful either.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the recommendations!!! I will probably keep the h/u, sub, and get an eclipse amp, and different interiors. Not too concerned with the money. Also, do i really need a cap? Any recommendations on an eclipse amp that can power the sub and interiors, or do i need 2?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2534
I'd recommend an Eclipse PA4212 for the front components, I'm assuming you're getting rid of the rear speakers. That will power any of the components I listed. Is that Eclipse Aluminum SVC or DVC?

Post Number: 3
The eclipse is a dvc. I would like to have rear interior speakers though.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2537
If you want the rear speakers for passengers, then I'd recommend an Eclipse PA5422 amp for the speakers. Being a DVC Eclipse subwoofer, Eclipse doesn't make an amp in the 500W ballpark for a 2 ohm load, so I recommend an MTX 6500D for the sub, it'll push that subwoofer very well and is an excellent amp for the money. A high output alternator should be considered first before a capacitor. If you have charging system problems, replace the alternator first, then you can consider a capacitor and/or deep cycle batteries.

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 68
Svt contour is nice, my buddy just got one, same year. He has two JL W0's in it and it sounds pretty good save for the rattling. Everything else is all alpine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us