Sub suggestions please for 50's classic car

Anonymous

Hi folks,

I plan on getting the Precision Power 5 channel DCX 800.5 amp which is 50x4 and 200x1 for the sub. I'd like to get the most out of the 200rms that I can since I'll be running (2) Infinity 65.3i, 6 1/2" coaxials in the front kick panels and most likely the same at the rear. I realize that Infinity isn't big on the mid or low end so there is a need for a sub. The reason for the 5 channel is due to space limitations. I understand the *ideal* solution would be to have a seperate amp for the sub but I just can't do that with the space provided. I'm thinking either Cerwin Vega V-Max and Kicker Comp-VR would do the trick. Please understand I don't need booming bass...but rather enough low end fill that when I hear someone tear into a stand-up bass (i.e. rockabilly music)that I'll be able to feel it! Any suggestions would be fantastic!

Also, the sub will be in a box...perhaps you folks would be so kind as to suggest either ported or sealed with the sub you select.

Thanks guys...this forum has really helped me along with my new system.

BlownRiv
Unregistered guest
since you don't need booming bass, i'd go with a single 10" or 12" sub in the largest recommended sealed enclosure. you could even do a couple of higher-quality 8"s with success.

both subs and amplifier designs have improved quite a bit in the past 10 years. subs can now handle more power and amps can make it more cheaply than ever. you really don't need four 12"s to get loud any more.

check out kicker's square-shaped L7 subs. i use one and am very happy with it. JL audio's W6v2 and W7 are also very good. i prefer larger, sealed boxes because they sound very quick and accurate, and tend to play deeper into the lower frequencies than a vented box.

Silver Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 147
If I were you, I'd probably go with the Kappa Perfect series. A single 12" in a sealed box should do you good, since you're about sound quality instead of boomy.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5208
yup the Perfect in a sealed box should work with 200 watts. depending on the car, you could have a sealed box fiberglassed to fit neatly into the car.
that's pretty much how my two 12" subs are set up in my 60s car.

Anonymous

Glasswolf,

Within the Infinity Kappa Perfect line-up there several choices, four to be exact. I suppose I should call Inifinity and get some answers with regard to subtle differences between them. So even if the RMS for the Perfect line range from 350-400, the 200rms that I would be providing would be enough juice to power it?

Thanks for all of your suggestions by the way!!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5227
yes.
remember "power handling" is a thermal measure of the amount of heat the voice coil(s) can handle without damage.
the more power applied to a speaker, the more heat is generated bacross the voice coils.
This is no indication of how much power the speaker really needs to reach peak output though.
that power is usually considerably less.
200wRMS should do just fine for that sub.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5228
What's the car by the way?
I'm nosey.

Anonymous

Glasswolf,

Go to www.classicinstruments.com and then to the "Our Classic Customers" (down the left side) then to the 1952 Hudson Wasp link...that's her!

On a side note...in your opinion would you bother with putting the 6.5" coaxials in the rear or would you go with smaller speakers such as 4" for fill...I already have 4" holes from the factory on the rear "shelf" under the rear window.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5264
if you're after SQ, I'd skip rear fill entirely.
if you insist on it, go with a straight midrange speaker, around 5" or so, and you'll want rears as mono not stereo, and crossed over so they handle about 500Hz up to about 5KHz.
rear fill mainly just distracts from the soundstage in reality.
back speakers were only used by factories because they needed a place to put bigger speakers and the rear shelf was otherwise unused.
from an audio standpoint, the location is lousy.

Anonymous

Glasswolf,

Please verify my calculations and theory regarding voice coils and wiring. Here's the plan:

Precision Power DCX 800.5 which offers either 200x1 @ 4ohm or 400x1 @ 2ohm for the sub channel.

The Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D offers dual 4ohm voice coils.

Now if I have this correct, I could connect the positive terminal from voice coil #1 to the positive terminal of voice coil #2 as well as connect the negative terminal of voice coil #1 to the negative terminal of voice coil #2, then, connect my sub to the amp, which would give me 400rms since I'm now running a 2ohm load?!

In other words I'm wiring the voice coils of the sub in parallel which will produce a 2ohm load to the amp.

Just getting my head wrapped around the theory.

Thanks again Glasswolf!

(did you get a chance to check out my ride?)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5281
yup
here's a diagram
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/1_4ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 226
very nice car, I like that

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 65
that car is the p1mp sh1t.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5309
I like those old lead sleds.
I love my '66, but one day I'd love to set up an old Mercury or something.. similar to that one jesse james drives. Love teh attitude those old cars have.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us