Want to add subs to my car

mz71687
Unregistered guest
I've got a 95 Ford Ecoline 150, a Kenwood 4 channel amp powering 2 Pioneer 6x9's and 2 RF 5.25' with a Pioneer deck. I'm pretty happy with the overall sound quality and loudness but when I crank up the bass the sound goes out the window. So I'm looking to add some subs to my setup. What would be best for my system, 1 or 2 subs, how big, what kind of box, and what kind of amp. My budget is about $500. I'm thinking about 2 12" Rocford Fosgates (don't know what model yet), a ported box and I have no idea about an amp.

Silver Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 146
Isn't an Econoline a van? If so, you can put large ported boxes in there, and fit 15's if wanted. But it all comes down to what type of person you are, if you like loud blasting bass, or just for sound quality. And also, what type of music. Fosgates are nice, you should look into the older fosgate subs. I personally don't really like the newer ones.

mz71687
Unregistered guest
Yeah its a large van. I would prefer sound quality over loud blasting crap, and I mostly listen to hard rock. I think I might go with Kicker subs. Everyone seems to agree that they're good subs and aren't too expensive. Maybe with a JBL amp, but I still gotta figure out the whole 2, 4, and 8 ohm thing. Sound good so far? And should I go for 15's instead of 12's?

Bronze Member
Username: Comet345

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 86
nah, if you want sq, go for either 10's or 12's ... they will give you tighter bass ...

and, for "the whole 2, 4, and 8 ohm thing" ... go to www.rockfordfosgate.com and go to the wiring diagrams... should be self-explanitory...

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 176
Kickers don't have amazing sq, wasn't built for it. Note the square model, which creates limited cone flexibility and uneven stress points, so it doesn't perform the way a round sub does. For sq, i would go with rockford.

mz71687
Unregistered guest
Alright well I'm back to the 12" RF's. I'm not sure if I should get 2 Punch Stage 3's for $250 or a Power Stage 1 for $200. I looked at the wire diagrams but I have a question about the wattages on the amps. Lets say I have 2 500 watt RMS subs. I know I can power these with a 2 channel amp that can do 500x2 RMS, but what is the whole bridging thing? Also, is it possible to run 2 subs off a mono amp?

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 184
If u wan't good rockford subs, check out the he2's. Amazing subs. You get two of those with a decent amp, and you will be ready to bump the sh!t out off yourself.

mz71687
Unregistered guest
Really? The he2's? They were cheaper than the punch or power stage. I can get 2 12's for less than $200 shipped off ebay. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, but if they're good then that's fine with me. Any other opinions? What would be a good amp to go with them?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5207
I'd personally look at a pair of Alpine type R 12" subs over the RF ones.
then go with an amp like a Kicker KX600.1 to drive them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us