Volfenhag

Anonymous

Has anyone heard or listened to the Volfenhag subs.They look pretty cool but I don't know about the build quality.They are pretty cheap too,$99 dollars on ebay for 2 12's.Should I buy them or is it just a waste of money like Audio Bahn.Are these subs better than AUdio Bahn?

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 963
The people on this forum as a whole generally dont like them but i personally do. The 4712 of those are good but if you went up to the 4812 series youll get twice the xmax (excursion) and a little more power handling. These subs (both series 47 and 48) have decent sound quality and can get loud despite what others may think. I personally know someone has hit in the 140 db level with a pair of volfenhags and this was in an everyday user box.

Bronze Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

Post Number: 20
I bought a pair of them in the past and I thought they were quite well. Try em, I doubt they will sound like crap.

Anonymous

What would be the best box for them,sealed or ported?

Silver Member

Post Number: 967
the older ones ive heard (47 series) have all been in sealed enclosures but the new ones (48 series) my buddy has which sound very nice are in a low tuned ported enclosure

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 421
A kid in my town had a pair of 12's from them. They pumped out bass but they wern't anything spectacular. They distorted a lot at high volumes and didn't seem to handle the power hat they claimed they did.

Bronze Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 51
hey man, i used to have the volfenhags---i dunno what model they are but they had thick azs rubber and were 1200 max. they were loud but i dont recommend them at all. they tend to be flea market material and are too inneficcient. im not putting anyone down trust me. trying to help u out. they are power eaters. with the money u can buy the amp to power the subs, u can get something way better that requires less power. just as a comparison, i got 2 flame q's 12's which hit louder and better than the two volfenhag in the same setup. also , ur overpaying, i got 2 of them in a sealed box brand new for 140 total in a shop. i think ur overpaying. u should rather get 2 memphis 12's for maybe 100 bucks for both which are a lil more efficient, have better sq and have better spl than the volfenhags. speaking from past experience

Silver Member

Post Number: 973
if you call 300 rms total for two 12's to get 132 db alot for subwoofers at that price then yeah they are. I know this from experience but its up to you who you want to listen to. Id run them against audiobahn anyday and beat them spl wise and sq. This coming from someone who has also had audiobahns best subwoofer. Flea market buy them and youll see they are much better than that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 974
oh and the box size for the volfenhags i mentioned hitting 132 db with 300 rms was 1.70 cf each subwoofer. Id like to see a pair of audiobahns of the same price do the same in a box that size.

Anonymous

Alright,Thanxs Sean.:-)

Anonymous

What do you think 4 of the Volfenhags would hit.Would they hit harder than 2 solobaric 12's?

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 181
4 volfenhags against two solo's... Quite a question lol. I haven't heard the volf's or the solo's, but one thing i know is that the solo's get pretty loud. From what i read on the net, the l7's are pretty good subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 983
well i know that two solobaric 12 L7's can hit 153 db but as for the sound quality wont even come close to what the volfenhags would sound like. As for spl id assume 145 spl at least given the same power in the right box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 984
what i meant was the solobarics aq is not very good at all compared to the volfenhags

Silver Member

Post Number: 985
what i meant was the solobarics sq is not very good at all compared to the volfenhags

Anonymous

Sean I just found some Volfenhag 15"s on ebay for like $130 for 2 of them.I might buy 4 15"s instead of the twelves.What amp do you think would be good for the 4 15"s.Are the Volfenhag amps any good b/c they are cheap on ebay.Thanx again:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 989
no dont buy the volfenhag amps they are total junk ill see what i can find for you

Silver Member

Post Number: 990
you could do the mtx 1501d or the mtx 81000d they are both 1500 watts rms at 14.4 volts and wire the 4 15's to 2 ohm's for max power out of the amp. I own the mtx 81000d and the 1501d is the same amp just a different face but the same specs. This amp needs a 150 amp fuse and is class d (very efficient) so if you get it be prepared to get a ho alternator because i have 105 amp alternator and a optima red top battery and it draws on my lights but a ho alternator would cure this for me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 991
if you do this be prepared to bump my friend.

ps....if you need help with the box design i can help you out. Just let me know your workable demensions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 992
If you do decide you want to go this route i know the next question how much would an ho alternator cost me. (about 200 bucks) Then the amp would be around (360) on ebay your subs if you get 4 (260)
total $820 Alternator sites can be recommended by glasswolf or jon i cant remember them at the moment.

Anonymous

I will be putiing them in a ex. cab nissan pickup.Are fiberglass boxes hard to make?

Anonymous

I am going to put the 4 15's in a wall.What do you think my db score will be with that system?

Silver Member

Post Number: 993
pretty good actually i dont think youll have any problem hitting the spl I estimated before in an extended cab truck with a wall

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
im sorry i missed most of the posts. i was out. like i said. i swapped two volfenhags for two alum q 1206 in the same exact setup. the audiobahn took the volfenhags by far. in spl and sq for sure. the rms rating is more over rated than the audiobahns rating. i think theyre made by kole audio or pyramid, something like that. i dont go by rms orpeak anymore. i go by first hand experience in the same setup by comparing and contrasting. they arent the worst , but yes, they are a better deal moneywise. the conclusion i came up to is that every sub has specific needs. sometimes its not about the best sub-----i dont think their is such thing------it comes down to how good u tune up ur system according to the sub and the type of bass u desire. as a conclusion, volfenhags are really really resistant to powerful amps, in the same scenario they need a lot of power because theyre really inneficient. i recommend a lot of power.-----was running my 1200 peaks with 700 rms to each, sounded decent

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
http://www.a1discountcaraudio.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=2030 thats the model i had which i got for 140 with a 2.8 c ft box included. can get it in LA for that price. got 1206q's for 120 a piece

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
volfenhag

Power [Max]: 1200W
Nominal Power: 600W
2" Aluminum Dual Voice Coil
Silver Chrome Basket
Sensitivity: 88dB
Dual 4 Ohm
Frequency: 27Hz - 3KHz
Mounting Depth: 150 mm
Mounting Diameter: 370 mm
Free Air Resonance: 25.6 Hz
Efficiency (1W/1M) 87.3 dB
Total Speaker "Q": 0.88
Electrical "Q": 1.30
Mechanical "Q": 4.35
VAS: 332.5L
Grill Included

audiobahn 1206t
PHAT 2" Multi-layer Foam Surround
Stamped and Balanced Aluminum cone
Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coils
2 Ohm or 8 Ohm Operation
6 mm Cast Aluminum Basket
Multi-connect Lug Lock Terminals
PATENT PENDING
SIZE : 12"
Magnet Weight: 120 oz
Power Handling : 1100 RMS
Frequency Response : 20Hz - 500Hz
Efficiency: 96.4dB
Voice Coil : 2.5" Dual 4 Ohms
Operation : 2 Ohms or 8 Ohms
Mounting Depth : 6 3/4"
Hole Cutout : 10 7/8"
Outer Diameter : 12 1/2"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
all i gotta say is look at the effieciency ratin of both. even though the audiobahn is so overated, it must at least be hitting 900 rms true watts, while the over ratted volfenhag is probably hitting at 300-400 true rms watts. shall i say more. i can probalby get u these in LA for 120 a piece and volfenhags for maybe 50 bucks a piece.

Silver Member

Post Number: 994
again ill say we had these running with 300 rms total (150 each) the ones you listed Elecgenius and they hit 132 db doesnt sound inefficient to me and we had them in a 1.70cf ported box tuned low and they could handle much more.

Silver Member

Post Number: 995
Elecgenius id buy one of those volfenhags from you for 50 bucks (4812) if you wanna ship it my way

Silver Member

Post Number: 996
then ill let you know what spl i get from one off my mtx 81000d

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
common mtx 81000 d will make even a rampage sub sound great, what r u talking about :-) any ways..... i will try to see if the shop i get the gear from in la does the whole shipping crap cus they do give some really great prices. my friend that worked in a shop b4 got a dub 7 for 450 with the box brand new,,,,,and no its not fake lol.... ill try to post their website.-----and about ur setup... i guess its what glass and jon and every expert out there tries to tell people. if u get the right box with the right tuning and the right amp,,, u can make anything sound like bass to ur ears.. i guess my setup was meant for the audiobahn and not for the volfenhag. 132 db, give u props for that

Silver Member

Post Number: 997
well i know that 132 db for two 12's isnt fantastic but my point was it isnt really bad either and that was without experimenting further but your right any sub can pound if you do it right case in point someone getting a 15 inch pyramid super blue to hit 147 db with 600 rms. AS for the sq part their are even ways to mess with that but my point for the volfenhags was that they sounded good (sound quality wise) in a basic setup and i think people are too harsh in their judgement of them. Thanks for checking on those subs for me too.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 245
Forget the audiobombs, and gowitht he Volfenhags. You might try CMT trading if you need a link I think I have it, I just have to find it. They I know are cheaper than what you are quoting. But I don't remember seeing 15's there. I am pretty sure they only carry the 12's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
here is CMTtradings link. They have the 4812's for like 80.00 each. 1200 watt dvc. look pretty good also. check em out.

Hope this helps

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
here is CMTtradings link. http://search.stores.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=volfenhag&srchdesc=y&sid=2 420509&store=www.cmttrading.com&colorid=6&fp=0&st=1&submit=Search

They have the 4812's for like 80.00 each. 1200 watt dvc. look pretty good also. check em out.

Hope this helps. They have the others also, 4817's and 4818's I believe for like 51.00.

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 241
those 4812's look mean, but they only have 2" vc's, that's like 2/3 to 1/2 the size of most of the supersubs you see. Not sure if that makes a ton of difference but just thought I'd throw that out there

Gold Member

Post Number: 1005
heres the listing glass gave for the alternator sites one of these is bound to have what you need

www.mralternator.com
www.4alterstart.com
and
www.alternatorparts.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us