Cerwin Vega Strokers!!!

Username: Madhops

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2
I was just wondering. Well I don't know much about subs. My friend was gonna buy a Stroker and I was wondering. When some people see woofers, they say,"wow it has a huge magnet, it should be a good a ss woofer. I was wondering why Strokers seem to have pretty small magnets compared to all the good woofers out there. Also, would he be better off getting some Alpine type X's?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2465
The people that say "ooh look at the magnet" are of the same type that think using 4 guage speaker wire will make a sub hit harder when it's nowhere near needed. Magnet size can matter, but a big magnet doesn't instantly give you motor strength, there are differences in magnets used. Also, if the gap of the voice coil is loose (lots of clearance) motor strength won't be as good because obviously the flux density will be lower. Strokers will hit VERY hard if set up properly, but remember they are SPL inclined and don't make a good daily driver sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_dub

Louisiana United States

Post Number: 50
Jonathan,I have a cerwin vega amp and when I hook it to a speaker,it pops the speaker out and then it wants to play the music.What could be the problem?

BIG D
Unregistered guest
Yo johnathan,

I just recieved my jbl 600.1p and infinity perfiect 10 sub SVC. I am about to buy the power wires, I will eventually be upgrading my front stage with another amp. You mentioned the 4 gauage being unnessasy. In my case for upgradability, should I go with the 4 gauage or is it unnessary. Also, if I had a DVC infinity 10 inch, could that sub handle 600 watts from the JBL at a 2 ohm load?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2467
You need 4 guage for the amplifier power wire, above I was referring to people that think huge speaker wire(running to the subs) makes a difference. You'll need to be really careful with that sub with 600W RMS, at full power it won't handle it well, you'll stress it both thermally and mechanically, if you hear distortion back off.

Jay, does it only happen when the amp turns on, or what? If you're talking about turn on thump, that's ok, but if the sub keeps popping, you need to check all your wiring, especially ground.

Username: Madhops

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Don't change my thread. Make your own thread if you need to ask something. What the Hell!

Username: Igotpenguinz

Mi

Post Number: 9
JayDub
my girlfriend had a similar problem. does it sound like water in the back of the trunk when you turn it off? the problem was the cd player and she was lucky to buy the warranty and received a brand new one. It also made a thump noise when you changed songs.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5020
the Stroker is an older design, and at the time it was cutting edge.
Now there are better produces. The type X will have a longer throw, as would a brahma, triple X, or W7.
The Stroker is still a great sub though.
The magnet size is meaningless, as the magnetic field strength and type of material are the real factors.
Having too large a magnet will actually overdampen a sub, and cause poor motor control for it resulting in degraded performance.
Audiobahn is a good example of this with their inefficient subs with huge magnets and horridly high power handing.. and an Xmax of like 18mm.
that's half of what a good sub should have if you want a lot of SPL from it.

Username: Ripper1967

Post Number: 1
strokers were the sub 8 years ago,try putting 4 rockford 1500s @16 volts to one,knocks the cone in half,fist size holes in them,bad news,that is what is wrong with the solo x subs,probably the loudest sub on the planet but..cant hold together,rips cones in half ect.now that the rockford 3000s are being used this weekend at db drags forget about it,rockfords custom built stuff is getting holes knocked in the cones,oh well

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 172
?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5038
blahblahrockfordblahblahblahloudblahblah

The patent on the stroker design apparently ran out finally.
planet audio just came out with a cheap knock-off of the strokers. Gotta love a company like BOSS that can't even be original enough to design their own speakers. They have to mack on someone else's ideas.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5039
by the way the solo X is far from the loudest sub on the planet, and it suffers from the same primary design flaws as all of the other current solobarics.
low excursion, and uneven stress points..
not to mention tinsel lead separation, and cone/motor separation.
lousy design. they're loud, but they don't hold up, and they don't sound that great.
not something I'd buy.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 226
what about the new strokers?

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 227
what about the new strokers?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »