Can a brahma handle bp1200.1

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 190
I'm getting a brahma mkII and am rather worried about it's power handling. By the tech sheet I read, it only needs 500 wrms to reach full excursion in a 2ft^3 SEALED box and I'd be running it in a 3ft^3 slot ported box at about 35Hz, which is what it recommends for spl application. The slot ported box should lower the power needed for full excursion even less, right? That would mean that I would be pushing over 2x the needed power and may blow the speaker because of this. If I am mistaken please let me know.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4995
I think the Brahma can handle up to 1600 watts
the JBL should be fine

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 193
I was just going by one of the tech sheets on their site. You always say that "the rms rating is a thermal rating, you do not need that much power to get the full potential out of the sub". Last thing I need is to spend a good amount on another sub to have it blow up on me, you know?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4998
as they noted, it doesn't need that much power, but it can take it.
you can also attenuate the amp using a crossover that lets you control signal level going to the amp, which will allow you to reduce the amount of output from the amp to balance it out and avoid overdriving the sub.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2446
I believe that 500W RMS you stated above isn't sealed, I believe that was for 2.0 net ported tuned to 30 hz, and reaching full excursion on a 20 hz note(below tuned frequency). I'm guessing you want a 12" Brahma as the SPL box recommended was 3 cu ft tuned to 35, so the power requirement for the Brahma is around 900W to reach full excursion in a 1.0 cu ft sealed box. http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_drivers/adire_brahm a/
I'm going by that chart, it's the same that is on Adires website. Anyway, a ported box actually has more power handling than sealed does above tuning, cone excursion is less. Typically you can add more power with ported than sealed and be able to handle it just fine, as long as you don't run the sub under tuning without a subsonic filter.

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 196
if I ran the bp1200.1 at 4ohms giving 600wrms does it still have the same max output? or should I stick with running it at 1 ohm since it is 2ohm dvc? Basically would it be better to run the amp 4 or 1 ohm?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2466
You could do either and be fine. You could get the terminal cups where you could wire for both as needed, 600 for daily driving and 1200 for when you want SPL.

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 199
where can I order those type of terminal cups

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2469
They're not a special type. I meant to type that you can use two terminal cups, that way you can change the wiring outside of the box.

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 200
how would you wire a sub both ways, I don't think you can. if you have the jumpers for parallel and series all hooked up at once that wouldn't make any sense.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2470
What you would do is as this picture shows:Upload
and each set of voice coils of the sub has it's own terminal.

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 201
ah, that's a lot of wiring, but good idea, so I would need 2 sets of terminal cups is all, where can I get good ones, something that would keep the thickness of the 12 awg speaker wire advantage I have?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2472
These are really good. http://www.madisound.com/benniccups.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us