EXPERT oPINION !!!!!

Unregistered guest
I JUST PURCHACED A CADENCE Z777AMP 1600 WATT AT 1OHM, I HAVE A POWER ACCOUSTIC MOFO 15 SUB RUNNING RIGHT NOW AND I EXPECTED IT TO HIT HARDER AND SOUND BETTER, I HAVE ALREADY TRIED TO SEPERATE BOXES AND BOTH DONT MEET MY EXPECTATIONS. I NEED SOME HELP...... I CAN RETURN THE EQUIP TO THE STORE TO UPGRADE, BUT NEED HELP IN DECIDING WHAT EQUIP TO CHOOSSE , DO I NEED SOME 12'S OR SOME 10'S OR SHOULD I GET A DIFFERENT AMP ....HELP , I ONLY HAVE A LIMITED TIME TO RETURN

Bronze Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 76
GET RID OF POWER ACOUSTIK EVERYTHING, THEY SCREWED ME BIG TIME. THEIR PRODUCTS SUCK, THEIR AMPS BURN UP, THEIR CAPACITORS BREAK, AND THEIR SUBS BLOW!

SDFGSDFGS
Unregistered guest
WHAT DO OU THINK OF THE KICKER L7 SOLOBERICS, I HEARD THEY TAKE A LOT OF POWER TO MAKE HIT , DO YOU THINK TWO OF THOSE WOULD DO THE TRICK , WHAT DO YOU THINK OF AUDIOBAHNS, THERE GOING IN AN S10 BLAZER SO SIZE IS NOT A FACTOR

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2420
LETS CUT THE CAPS LOCK KEY OFF...ok, now that's better :-). Anyway, it depends totally on what you plan to spend. How much did you pay for that system, and if you can spend any extra how much more can you fork into the system?

Baz
Unregistered guest
i spent $1200 w/ a power accoustic cap. a can spent $500-1000 if ness. i was thinking two L7 solo subs but w/ what amp or what amps at least how much power needed to puch them . my current amp im sure will not push them , im not sure if they can be wired into 1ohm.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2423
So $1200 in total, or 1200 plus that extra $500-1000?

bdm
Unregistered guest
i spent 1200. origionally i can shell out an additional 1,000 if it will make a signifigant difference.

bs
Unregistered guest
the guys at the stereo shop tell me that the kicker subs are way overated and they need massive amounts of power to make them hit.i have not heard the L7 .they said would sell the solo B at $400.00/each, im sure a new amp would be required if what they say is true...

suns in 05
Unregistered guest
if you had around $2000.00 to spend what size subs and how many would you, yourself purchace

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2426
I'd get two Eclipse 15" Titanium subs ($500 each on www.woofersetc.com) and one MTX 801D on each sub. That'll slam, especially if you run a ported box on the subs. You could also run those subs on your current Cadence amp, but I'm just not too crazy about running a 1 ohm load for headroom purposes. Great amp, though, and really 1600W RMS is plenty of power to put on subs, and the amp is reliable. Your charging system might not be up to par (probably isn't) unless you've already upgraded the alternator.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2427
Also, I'm not crazy about L7s. Square design is really bad for SQ, and also limits linear SPL to an extent. Uneven stress points because of the square design, which adds distortion, cone flex, possibly surround failure, lead slap is sometimes a problem on them, and there are more. They're not the loudest subs out there, either.

what the f
Unregistered guest
if the amp is fine then why isnt the mofo 15 pounding. i had a cubed box w/ two 3 and a half inch ports and it pounded hard , the only problem is that it only hit a few notes you know the really deep base, all other notes seemed flat and muddy , now w/ my current box which is bandpass box, rectangle shaped , way bigger, two differents sized square ports jst does not hit hard any more, im lost. i fell i got jacked at this shop. i have a fried w/ two freakin sony xplode 12 and sony amp that hits just like mine, whats the deal .

what the f
Unregistered guest
if the amp is fine then why isnt the mofo 15 pounding. i had a cubed box w/ two 3 and a half inch ports and it pounded hard , the only problem is that it only hit a few notes you know the really deep base, all other notes seemed flat and muddy , now w/ my current box which is bandpass box, rectangle shaped , way bigger, two differents sized square ports jst does not hit hard any more, im lost. i fell i got jacked at this shop. i have a fried w/ two freakin sony xplode 12 and sony amp that hits just like mine, whats the deal .

meagain
Unregistered guest
you mentioned not running 1 oah for head room purposes , what do you mean ?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2430
That's to blame on your subwoofer and enclosure, not the amp. The fact that the sub doesn't play well at higher freqs. and that it changed with the box all points to the subwoofer and enclosure. Bandpass only really shows a lot of benefit with tons of power packed onto the sub, and honestly they sound like absolute crap, they only produce a very narrow frequency range. Ported is better for daily applications and music listening, bandpass is more for competition and one note wonders. Check your crossover points as well, set around 80-100 hz and see if it changes. The MOFO can hit hard, but it's not designed to be a SQ sub nor is it designed to produce a broad bandwidth accurately, it's more SPL inclined. Like I said above, your alternator likely cannot power an amp of that size as well. That amp will draw a lot of current, more than pretty much any factory alternator can provide. A capacitor can't fix it either. It sounds like you need to get someone who can build a REAL box, or upgrade your sub to some that are better for your application. If you want the sub to hit hard and have deep bass, plus good all around sound quality, you need a ported box tuned in the 30s. For your application, a 4.0 cu ft net tuned to around 32-35 hz would work well, with dual or triple 4" ports.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2432
There is a certain amount of power that the power supply can provide. Running 1 ohm loads is effectively "maxing out" the power supply, increasing current draw and heat, and when dynamic peaks and transients come into music, the amp will not be as capable of accurately producing the amount of power needed. When you run a higher impedance load, such as 4 ohms, your power supply isn't nearly as strained and thus the amp is more efficient and you get better sound quality because the amp isn't strained, and at this point, the amp is has more headroom than if it were running a 1 ohm load.

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_dub

Louisiana United States

Post Number: 47
Jonathan,does the Eclispe 15" titanium sub have any kind of sq.I want 2 15"s that will have alot of spl but still have a fair amount of sq.What do you think is the best 15" sub for that?Thanx.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2436
The Titanium has excellent SQ. It's a jack of all trades so to speak. 15" Brahmas and X.X.X.s are great as well.

Bronze Member

Louisiana United States

Post Number: 48
Thanx Jonathan,is the Titanium subs as hard to get as the Brahmas and the Triple x's b/c I heard that them 2 subs could take atleast a couple of months to get.Wich ones are the cheapest?Thanx again.:-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2464
No, actually they're easier to get, you can get them at any Eclipse dealer, there are also online sites like woofersetc that carry them, and of course ebay will have them. Brahmas and Triple X's tend to be a little cheaper, but it depends on where you're getting the Tis and also what size you're getting.

Bronze Member

Louisiana United States

Post Number: 49
What do you think would hit harder,4 JL Audio w6 12's with 2 jl500 watt amps or 2 Eclipse Titanium 15"s with 2 JL500 watt amps?I can't decide.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us