Dimming lights, will i be needing a dry cell battery before upgrade?

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 59
I went to a car audio shop in Nahua (boomers) and had my battery tested. The guy said it was completely fine, tho old, but said that it would be a good idea to get a dry-cell battery. This is the first time i've heard about this so I am wondering how necassary it is. I assume he is just trying to make a sale (169$) but figured i'd take it here first. 'Sides I'm too broke to be replacing working batteries.

Reason I went there was to see how much power i could get out of my car without jeopardizing the alternator. If you remember correctly I have a car who's lights dim slightly on bass hits off a small sh1tty 220w rms P/A amp.

My plan was to run one 12vMax, but if my power source allows, I would like to be able to run 2 12's. Definetly no more than 600w rms. The guy said that I have about 85amps to fool around with which should be plenty but I am hesitant considering the current dimmage (not much - no more than 10% of headlights).

I guess my second question would be: Is such dimmage normal? Its not much but its there/I cant notice it when driving, I have to be facing a wall or something.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4910
if the lights are dimming, you need a larger alternator.
that's pretty much cut and dry.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 218
Yea dont waste money on caps and batterys get a new alternator, besides with the money you would spend buying a battery and a cap, could be used to get a bigger alternator which could handle an even bigger upgrade.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4914
they all serve a purpose, judt different putposes.
the alternator is the sole source of current supply when the motor is running.
the battery is the power source when the motor is off.
a capacitor just smooths out spikes in demand, and gives less propagation when there are demand spikes.
a cap won't make up for the need for an alt or batt though.

Bronze Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 35
i have an optima dry cel yellow top battery and i added a cap. noticed absolutely no difference. lights neve dimmed. sounds the sam. my voltimeter on the dash seems to be exactly the same as before. i think it was worth getting the optima over the cap and alt cus since its deep cycle, it charges up quickly witrh lil power. i have actually bumped out for 6 hours with car off and turns on like a charm. have a stock alternator and still never damaged it till this day. got my optima for 120 but they do run about 160 in regular shops

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5008
the optima will help if ya run the system at high volume or for long periods without the engine on.
the cap helps to smooth spikes in demand that can wear on your alternator, as well as supply current with less propagation for spikes in demand from amps for things like bass notes.
both help in their own ways.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us