How do i convince my dad to let me get subs

JZ
Unregistered guest
i have a sweet lexus rx300 and subs would be the perfect addition, making it even better, but my dad is being a hardass about letting me buy any. He says that its up to me to convice him that i should have them, what good reasons can i give him to help persuade him to think my way?

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 215
This is what i told my dad. I said that at least its a hobby that is respectable at school unlike smoking pott and getting wasted. Another was it was my money that i worked hard to get and im going to spend it on what I want. Another was that its something that makes me happy. Hope that helped!

Bronze Member
Username: Followyoursole

Post Number: 39
Steven has a good answer. I would of just said....At least Im not spending my time and money in a back alley doing crack..

JZ
Unregistered guest
haha, ya those sounds like good points. if worse comes to worse, i could cmoe home one day with like a line a white dust on my nose and tell him " thanks for denying me those subs!" now i have plenty of money to support my habit.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2391
I guess you could also make him appreciate a sub from a musical standpoint, ya know, convince him to go listen to a high end home audio system (maybe in a shop) with his favorite music, and let him hear how much difference it makes SQ wise. Then, convince him that's your intent instead of bumping to rap music and test tones :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Tafkam

Dayton, Oh

Post Number: 85
Wow times have sure changed, I had to justify putting a "glasspack" muffler on my '73 Impalla to my Dad, I think my excuse was to cover up all valve damage noise it was making.

I dunno in your case, tough call, I would maybe say the music with the bass really loud keeps you awake when you are driving drunk? Naw that won't work.....hum......keeps you distracted and getting horneee and getting your g-friend preggo? Nope.

OK here is my idea: Tell your dad the airbags are hooked up to a special sensor that only deploys when MotorHead is played beyond 100 dB. Kind of lame I know but it is the excuse I would have used.

Good luck with that stuff, my dad thought Kiss sucked, well screw him ANYTHING sounds good if cranked long enough.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2395
My dad encouraged me to put the loudest mufflers on my car I could get, that way I couldn't sneak in the house late at night without him knowing. He even paid for them. Little did he realize that there were plenty of nights that I just shut the car off up the road, cut the lights off, and coasted into the driveway :-).

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 926
LOL my bro used to coast out of the driveway and be stealth just like you did to leave the house

Bid D
Unregistered guest
Yea, you should also, leave some diagrams and calculations "lying around" of the box you want to build. This will show pops that phsysics and math are part of Sound enjoyment and reproduction.

Also get some books on Circuit theory and sound reproduction. This may sound boring to you, but this is what is all comes down to.

I think showing your dad your are using your brain and this is a legit hobby is your best route, but do it subtle and not obvios, dads are smart.

Know your stuff - Ohms law (ask pops if he knows)
PCM
Frequency responce
maybe a little surrond sound ECT..

Give us an update in a couple weeks...

good luck

Username: Jeremy_c

Kirksville, MO USA

Post Number: 10
I am lucky my dad helped pay to get my subs and he and he sits out in my car playing music more than i do. but he is a bit of a sound junky

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4929
suggest that it'd further your interest in electrical theory as well as automotive work.
get good grades. that's always a plus.
tell him it'll keep you from more unsavory habits, like chasing girls.
haha

or better yet, tell him my favorite excuse..
chicks dig it.

Bronze Member
Username: Stanleyc

Post Number: 59
How old are you? Why do you have to convince your dad to allow you to get subs? If you buy it with your own money, I don't see a reason he should approve of it first, unless of course your still under 18 and not a legal adult yet. In that case, go with what Glasswolf said. =)

Bronze Member
Username: Bryanwalsh524

Post Number: 41
i'm 15 and my mom didn't have to aprove of subs before i got it. =]

jiohkjhlkjhkl
Unregistered guest
LOL! If its your money just buy the focking subs you puss-pop... God damn!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2506
Let's keep God's name out of your little outburst. As far as a puss-pop, I'd credit that more an poster that is too scared to show his name when shouting his obscenities.

Bronze Member
Username: Comet345

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 93
yeah, I told my dad that I was going to get my car stereo system, and he was like .. when I am driving with my colleagues in the car, and I hear a stereo system like that in the car in front of me when Im stopped at a light.. I just think of how stupid that guy is...

Anyway, I was just like, I have wanted it for a long time, and since I bought a new car, im going to get it ...

I mean ... im 20, so I dont really have to justify myself .. but still, I have respect, you know ?

anyway ... just tell him straight up .. you like music, and you want to work and pay for it yourself. Simple. Dont have to involve deception of any kind... just tell him.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2508
It's the guys that are out there trying to show off at stop lights that give this hobby a bad name in the first place. It's funny, I used to go to car shows and older guys just snickered because I had a system in the cars. I mean, I'm 36 years old, it's not like I'm reliving my youth or am out there to tick them off, I enjoy music, it's as simple as that. Who wouldn't rather listen to a quality audio system on their drive to the beach, or to work everyday, as opposed to some crappy 6.5" stock whizzer cones pushed off a head unit? The intent of this hobby is for the pleasure of the enthusiast, not the aggravation of those around you.

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 113
puss-pop? lol

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5255
If the car title is in your name, and it's your money, the only levrage your parents could really have is if you live in their house.
Outside of that, it's all on you for the stereo. They don't have to like it. Mine used to cringe at my IASCA car when I'd be working on it, but they humored me *shrug*

The key here is not to annoy people in your home or neighborhood. Don't drive around with the volume up and the windows down on your block attracting attention and you'll be fine.
See as your dad pointed out, it's the people who are irresponsible who give car audio a bad name.
These are the same people who cause city ordinances to be put into effect that allow police to pull you over and write tickets if you have a loud stereo, or confiscate the gear if you're pulled over more than once.

jiohkjhlkjhkl
Unregistered guest
Ooooooooo my daddy wont let me have a stereo :-(!!! F*cking B!tch, buy the sh!t and stop being a F@G. Spare me with that dont say god's name in vain sh*t jonathan, ooooo I have a jiberish name! Im glad you saw through that john, I mean let me tell you. The last thing I would ever want is people saying naughty things to me on a forum, h*mo. Maybe I will go make a name now to show you just how big my c*ck is, then will you suck it?

Bronze Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 68
dont u just hate those unregistered guests, lol, they crack me up sometimes, and by the way, last i cheked, i am fully straight and im not into the 49'ers, thank the supreme being( i remembered whe had to keep his good name outta the conversation so i just went for a synonym++++++++ lol.))

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2512
"Maybe I will go make a name now to show you just how big my c*ck is, then will you suck it?"

You can talk all you want to, you obviously don't have the balls to back anything up. My point is to show a little respect, if that pains you then don't post. But, I'm willing to make you a deal, if your d*ck is big enough to extend past the barrel of a Remington 1100, you can show up and we'll both shoot our respective loads and see what happens. Don't get all defensive with a bunch of h*mo cracks, I ain't one, don't want to be one, and never will be one. Anybody that can label something as g@y has to be thinking about g@y things in the first place, you obviously got the reference from somewhere. You're the one that's putting all your focus on the issue, quit being an insecure pr*ck and come out of the closet already.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
The Remington 1100, that is a very nice gun. Sport 12 guage im assuming? I have the 870 SuperMag Synthetic 12 gauge, I love it. No where near as nice as yours, I just use it to blow the crap out of stuff and shoot CDs and skeet etc.. I like all Remington's stuff really.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 240
I'm will to bet that if it is big enuf to extend past the barrel of a Remington 1100, he don't need you Jonathan. He probably does it himself.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2516
Yeah, it's the 1100 Sporting 12. I got it from my neighbor's family (neighbor died) in pristine condition for $200 bucks, with all 4 chokes, they didn't have a clue what it was worth. Only been fired a couple of times, not a scratch on it. I use an older Ithaca Model 37 featherlight for most of my hunting duties, I got that from my granddad, I do use the 1100 for duck hunting though. I mainly bought the gun because it was a sweet deal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
GREAT deal, that gun is worth a grand! I would have laid down the 200 for it too, couldn't have passed that offer up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us