What can you study to learn all the Car Audio stuff?

Username: Djzavala

Whittier, Ca USA

Post Number: 2
Car Audio has always intrigued me and my dream is to one day own my very own Car Audio store but I dont know how to get started with it all, what should i study to learn this all and what should i do? im only 19 so i dont think im too bad off.

Bronze Member
Username: Audionoob13

Novi, MI USA ...

Post Number: 56
Wow, i would like for someone to reply too, im also intersted in more. Lets hope Glasswolf helps, hes got a lot of experience under his belt!

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 670
If you keep tabs on this forum you will learn a whole lot of stuff. Some other people will have suggestions on books and web site. But you will learn just like i have about the good and bad companies and what to do right. Here is a web site that has so much info its ridiculous. Also, promise me this... When you open up your shop (i know you will someday) Dont, i repeat dont carry Audiobahn products. Also dont carry anything Sony except for Head Units, because some of them are pretty good.
http://www.bcae1.com/

Whittier, Ca USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the advice, but even me a rookie knows not to ever have anything audiobahn, lol

Bronze Member

Novi, MI USA ...

Post Number: 57
i think you have to be Chaldean with a lexus to have a car audio store, or thats how it is here in michigan. and the sorry thing is, they carry ever worst brand name product and says its the best. i hate it, the only good for wire and maybe box carpet!

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 672
I feel your pain, good audio stores are hard to find in Tucson, at least if i went to Phoniex i could go to Rockford.

Whittier, Ca USA

Post Number: 8
yeah good audio stores are hard to find thats why i want to learn this stuff, what would be the easiest way to know everything? by trying to work at an audio store or studying it at school, any ideas from all you car people?

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 58
I dont plan on owning a shop, but Im taking a lot of materials mechanics classes with my major, and i have a couple electronics classes coming up soon. Then i'll understand those damn ohm's and sh1t inside out.

Theres a lot of good info out here on the net anyways.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4909
http://www.the12volt.com/links/books.asp
http://www.installerinstitute.com/

those two sites are a good start.

Bid D
Unregistered guest
Good question..

Physics....yes Physics (any level college book)
Circuit Theory

Once you know the theory you know everything.

Bronze Member
Username: Suicideshifter

Bristolville, Ohio United States

Post Number: 57
or Xplods

Whittier, Ca USA

Post Number: 10
so if i study electrical engineering i should know it all?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4954
electrically.
you'd still need to know your way around a car

Bronze Member
Username: Stanleyc

Post Number: 60
In that case, double major electrical and automotive engineering. =)

Bronze Member

Whittier, Ca USA

Post Number: 11
good idea =) im gonna consider that

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2417
Acoustics is something to get a minor understanding of as well. A lot of that ties in with Physics, though. Experience is the best teacher, if you can install for a shop or simply work for a shop, you'll get experiences that will teach you more than most books can offer, simply because you're applying it. Trial and error helps. Trusting your ears on an install is a big factor, of course equipment like oscilloscopes, RTAs, etc. help you to start, the most important thing about installing speakers is to play around with locations and ideas until you get the results you're after. Owning a shop you'll need more business experience than anything, very few shop owners do install work and repairs, owners usually manage payroll, keep track of expenses, hiring, etc. I'm not trying to be a downer, but it's not always as glamorous as it seems, also remember that there is a big difference between a hobby and a job. Once you add financial pressure, deadlines, etc., sometimes the fun part can get sucked straight out of it. Same as an installer, it'll be very rare that you're working on a competition style show car, more often than not you'll be replacing a couple of factory speakers for a guy that doesn't know what clipping is. If you're looking for more of an install and repair training, working as an installer and getting MECP certification is a big plus.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4994
there ya go.
automotive mechanics (WyoTech? heh)
physics
electrical engineering
possibly mech eng too
and of course, acoustic eng.

master all of those topics and you're in good shape! You can then proceed to a job with Sony, building cheap amplifiers that fail easily to get people to buy more of them..
oh wait, no then you need to study marketing, too.

Bronze Member

Novi, MI USA ...

Post Number: 58
Im going to UTI in chicago to the automotive and Hot Rod 4 U and after that, im going to porche graduate program and im also taking low Voltage electrical engineering. :-)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5010
UTI? I had a girlfriend with one of those once.
ouch.

*grin*

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2463
LMAO.

Bronze Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 86
Google >
« Previous Thread Next Thread »