Inverted subwoofer

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 181
what are the benifits of turning your sub around in the box? i.e. having the magnet out of the box and the cone facing the inside of the box.
I would like to do this with my sub, I did it with some OLD kicker 10's and they hit harder and lower freq. Does it work with all subs?
Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 184
when you invert the speaker basically you are adding a bit of space to the box because the sub is no longer taking up any space in the box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
OO so will this give better SQ and better low freq. response? Thats kinda what Im looking for.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
yo, I dont want to sound rude or anything but I have to leave for school soon and I wanted to get an answer about the better SQ and better freq. response question before I leave.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 589
Depends on the enclosure. If your present box is "too small" yeah it may help. With 12's your talkin about a .15-.25 ft^3 increase in volume per sub.

Personally I think most subs look dorky inverted and I don't like the exposed wires/connections hangin about.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
Well the sub calls for a 2.5cu.ft. box and thats what I have. I like they way my sub looks inverted. I have two but only one is in a box. I have another box in my room and I was wondering what it would look like so I put it in and it looks cool to me. The box with the 30in. slot port is the one in my truck, this is the one I want to invert the sub in. I think you(Fishy) did the math to find the tuning freq.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 227
I don't think I've ever heard of inverting subs in a ported box. Especially if your box is already to recommended specs.
It's usually done to gain a small amount of airspace, which you don't need.
But if you are bent on inverting the subs, don't forget to invert the wiring.(switch the positive to the neg. side and vise sersa.)
But I still don't understand doing it in a slot ported box.

Bid D
Unregistered guest
Yea making your subs inverted is defiently faggy.
You don't want an inverted sub, so hear me out.. if your belly button is an outty, yea it may be more functional but it looks Q-ear and you have to explain it to everyone. If all your are looking for is to have your subs "hit harder" than go play with your outty belly button.

I think there are "better" avenues to try before outty. And if you've tried everything...Dynamat, experimenting with slot ports, polyfill then go for it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
I was just wondering.
Like I said, I did it with some old kicker 10's in some big @$$ boxes so I know that the boxes werent too small and the subs hit lower bass, I love low bass. It was just a thought.
O yeah on those old subs I didnt reverse the wires. they were SVC 4 ohms.

Bronze Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 28
my audiobahn sound a lot better inverting them. of course , i have them in a camaro box, 1.23 i think, which is too little. so by inverting them it gave me cleaner bass---sealed box only-----and deeper bass----of course due to the increase in airspace on a box that cant be designed any bigger

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
Ok Elecgenius, when you say invert polarity also in the other post, do you mean run all wires to the opposite terminal. I have my sub run in parallel(the VC) then it is run to my amp which is a bridged two channel. If I invert it how would I run the wires?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
ru them the same---just invert the wires going from ur subs to the amp. pos to negative negativ to pos. a quick test is to park ur car next to a window that rattles a bit. hook up one sub and check if on every kick it blows out ward. if it does than u got it right. also the window test works by checking what way it rattles more. kepp flipping th wires until u feel the window rattles the most. that most likely will mean the subs are wired correctly and that the certain setup will sound the best. the rattle on the window is just to let u know that the sub is pulling out air from the bos, instead of pushing air in---shich can blow the hell out of ur cones if its pushing air in specially on a sealed box

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
I only have 1 sub.
wireing like you said, that wouldn't raise the ohms and make it 8 ohm load, it saound like series to me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
NO ------ U HAVE TWO WIRES COMING OUT FROM THE SUB TO THE AMP RIGHT, POS AND NEG.
SUB + TO AMP -
SUB - TO AMP +

UR CONES SHOULD PULL AIR OUT OF BOX
IN OTHER WORDS DISCONECT THE + AND - FROM AMP AND FLIP.

IF IN DOUBT, LIKE I SAID, TURN THE BASS UP A LIL AND SEE IF THE CONE PULLS OUT INSTEAD OF PUSH IN

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
Ok man I get now, my bad, I was thinking of the voice coils.
Ill try that.
What if you would leave the wires the same and your sub pushes air into the box?

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
o sh!t my bad I didnt read all your post earlier.

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
O sh!t my bad I didnt read all of your post earlier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us