I dont believe you have to, i live in michigan and i dont think that that would be bad for them, prolly better than really hot weather because when you play in the wintertime, the voice coils are cool instead of hot
u have a good point there steven. i grew up in ct but live in texas now. it sure does get hot in the trunk. i purchased a "cheap" amp in the winter time once and it worked fine until around early may when it started to get hot, after then the amp would always over heat, one time i touched it and i got a pretty bad burn, kinda like touching the stove
Leave them in. Just keep the volume down till they warm up
Whatever guys... I would worry about it. Take a plate and stick it in the freezer till its cold then stick it in the microwave. What happens? I would let the voice coil heat up for a little while before I started bumping.
the plate isnt COPPER!
if it was you would see a light show in your microwave...hehehe
"Whatever guys... I would worry about it. Take a plate and stick it in the freezer till its cold then stick it in the microwave. What happens? I would let the voice coil heat up for a little while before I started bumping"
Think about the engine of your car on a cold morning, really cold cast iron or aluminum. Start the engine and expose that metal to thousands of degrees of combustion temperature. What happens? You'd be surprised at how quickly the coils actually heat up, it only takes seconds. Any victim of electric shock can tell you electricity will burn instantly. A microwave doesn't even produce heat, it produces microwaves (hence the name) that excite molecules inside of food (mainly food), and THAT produces heat inside the food. Therefore, any element in which molecules don't react to microwaves won't be affected. Microwaves "bounce" off of metal. That's why a microwave is a six sided metal box, so they won't get out into the room. The microwaves don't actually cook the food. The friction caused by the vibrating molecules produce the heat which does. The voice coil isn't something to worry about, the only thing you should concern yourself with is excessive moisture to the surrounds, cone, and certain electrical connections that could possibly rust.
"No it isn't, but the ones you eat off of are obviously made out of lead." -lol
Alpha only used the microwave as a easy example of a place to heat up a cold thing. Yea, it doesnt get hot in the microwave but we know what he meant.
I remember reading about some idiot lady that was pissed because there was always frost on her windshield in the morning. So what she did was dump a pot of boiling water onto it and surprisingly (for her), it shattered.
I have a pair of subs I've used since 1989 when they were made, and they have yet to be damaged due to harsh winters here in northern michigan. just use your system wisely, and let everything warm up a little before racing off or cranking up the stereo when it's cold out. you let the engine warm up before driving, why not let the interior of the car and the stereo system have the same benefits?
I wouldn't go so far as to say remove any of the system for the winter though.
even though I find it hard to believe, it sounds like we're about the same.. Although, there was that day last year when it was -63 Celcius with the windchill (thats -81.4 Fahrenheit).... jesus, I wish we had snow days Going to school in -63 Celcius isnt fun
thanks for your help! I'll put the subs in tomorrow :D
I'm sure Michigan can have quite a wind chill too being bordered by the great lakes and having tons of inland lakes. Here in Georgia it isn't bad at all, we rarely touch far below 20 degrees F w/o wind chill Of course, summers can hit 105F with close to 100% humidity.
This is for any of you that live somewhere that gets cold in the winter
Will cold weather damage subs? do I have to take them out for the winter?
Don't they make little gloves for these?
Just kidding, a really good question actually and I have wondered the same thing my self. It is amazing when you think of the things car stereos are expected to do, i.e. go from 10 below to 75 degrees within a half hour or so, just amazing to me that the things still work.