Fish/glass/john What amp is better Alpine MRD501 or KX600.1

Bronze Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 35
Looking for a new amp to power my two 12" 4 ohm DVC Type Rs 300RMS/1000 peak. Im stuck between the MRD501 or the KX600.1 The Alpine seems to have ALOT more features over the KX and its fully digital... Anyway here are the specs tell me what you think:

Alpine V12 Class-D Mono MRD-501:

Link:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=alpmrdm501

• V12 AccuClass-D Design
• 550W x 1 RMS (2ohm;@14.4V 1% THD+N)
• 425W x 1 RMS (2ohm;@12V 1% THD+N)
• 225W x 1 RMS (4ohm;@12V 1% THD+N)
• Digital Control Center with VFD Information Display (Voltage, Current, and Temp Indicator)
• Bass Engine DSP:
- Parametric EQ
- Crossover
- Time Correction
- Subsonic Filter
- Phase Control
- Bass Compensator
• Remote Bass Knob or Remote Amplifier Control Center (RACC) ready
• Amplifier Link Ready
• STAR Topology
• 8 Volt Input Capability
• Integrated Wire and Screw Down Terminals
• Variable Turn-on Delay
• Thermal Managment Processor
• Frequency Reponse: 20Hz - 200Hz (±1dB)
• 2 Memory Presets

Kicker KX600.1 Class D

Link:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=kic04kx6001

• 600 Watts Power @ 2 Ohm - MONO
• Remote Bass Control
• Fan Cooling
• Frequency Response: 20Hz - 200Hz; +0, -1dB
• Input Sensitivity: High Level 340mV - 10V, Low Level 170mV - 5V
• Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >95dB, a-weighted, re:rated power
• Active Crossover: 12dB/Octave, variable 50Hz - 200Hz, low pass only
• KICKBass Boost: Variable to +18dB, centered @ 40Hz
• 12dB Subsonic Filter Defeatable @ 25Hz
• Dimensions with Shroud (L x W x H): 22 1/2" x 10" x 2 1/2" (57.2 x 25.4 x 6.35cm)

Alpine's products have never let me down as far as quality and bang for the buck but ive never used kicker either, help me out guys.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
P.S Check out this review site for the MRD-M501, kick @ss pics and review of it. This thing looks pretty s3xy to me!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Oops, lol -

http://www.m-emag.com/article.asp?section_id=13&article_id=554&page_number=1&pre view=

guestuser
Unregistered guest
I guess the alpine not to sure.. better ask someone else

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4839
personally I'd go with the KC600.1 myself.
I like those amps and it'll give a bit more power than the Alpine as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
The alpine was tested and actually was found to put out 630 watts with a 2 ohm load. Why does alpine under-rate their products power handle/output capability; I have found this to be true with MANY of their products. I like the look ALOT of the alpine + all the extra features and digital stuff O_o, is there really a huge difference between the KX and the alp? I trust your word I just don't want to get screwed over again like my last amp incident you know what im saying. Why doesn't kicker post the voltage for what the output level is rated at? Bottom line if it comes down to a 50 watts dif (if the kicker in fact puts that amount out at 14V) and nothing else is better I want to go with the alpine. The features and looks far surpass the kicker in my opinion, but tell me what you think.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4848
either one is a good amp.
the Kicker puts out more than it's rated power as well.
most birth sheets I see on the 600.1 rate it closer to the 650-700 watt RMS range at 2 ohms as I recall.

its really up to you.
either amp should do fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
As long as that alpine amp isn't a POS like my former Power Acoustik (now has a few bullet holes in it :-)! ahhh anger management). I'd like to keep it all in the family. I have Alpine Type R speakers and subs and if that amp is fine id like to use it; not to mention the digital display and amp itself looks d@mn s3xy.

My new goal is this...
I want to make an amp rack/box/enclosure thing. I was going mount the 2 amps I have on plywood, then build small 3" walls around the side to form a box. Then I was going to buy and install four PC Vantec Tornado high air flow 5,600 RPM fans (these things push an amazing amount of air for their size, comparable to a desk fan) and put them in these walls to cool the amps. Then I was going to take another portion of ply wood and cut it to contour my entire trunk (around the dual sub box and fit into all the curves etc..) and put it over the box with the amps in it. So I have a screwed on contoured portion of plywood on top and a rectangle box underneath that is cooled and vented by Vantec fans. Then to make it look "cool guy" and expose the amps I was going to cut a shape in the top portion of wood out over where the lower box resides to make a window. Then
I was going to put in an acrylic window in this spot, throw in a cold cathode light, carpet it all, weld L brackets to the sheet metal of the car and screw them into the box. Is that a good idea or no go?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us