Got ported box, but spl sounds the same

Bronze Member
Username: Followyoursole

Post Number: 31
I got a ported box but the loudness is the same and even less the a sealed. I had a sealed enclosure before. My sub reccomended 1.25 but i had it in a 1.5 cf box with polyfil...i dont know. I got a 1.8 cf ported box but my sub reccomends 2.0. I put polyfill in. About 2.5 pounds around the sides, top bottom, and back of the box. besically the surrounding. The SPL on the sub is not as loud as the sealed box. why? The sealed box had a boomier sound though with more echo. The ported is more crisp. If i reduce polyfill in the ported will it make the sub louder? or vice versa. Help would be appreciated.. Thanks. I thought ported was supposed to be louder. I see no diference. I cant even really feel the bass in my chest anymore that the sealed use to give.

Bronze Member
Username: Hifonics

Post Number: 43
wat kind of sub do you have because 2 cu ft sounds a little small for a ported box

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 890
what subwoofer is this? what are your subwoofers specs vas fs etc? where do you have the subwoofers port tuned to? If you dont know this then give me the ports diameter and length. It sounds to me like your frequency has changed and probably away from your amplifiers bass boost and maybe even away from your cars more boosted cabin frequencies. also what amplifier are you using and what is it bass boost centered at?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
The sub is a infinity reference dvc 300 watt rms. The specs for it in a ported box are 2.0 cf and 30 hz. I have it in a 1.8 cf box tuned at 34hz, I tried making up the difference with 2 pounds of polyfil. Since I last posted I turned the gain up a little and lowered the crossover on the amp to the lowest hz setting. When I had it in the sealed it distorted like crazy when the gain was up more, But in the ported it still sounds clear. So turning up the gain and changing some settings helped a little bit more. The only thing I notcied is the ported box has cleaner sound then when i had it in the sealed for some strange reason. The sub is less boomier and artificial sounding. The spl is about the same now, but shouldnt a ported improve the spl extremely as so Ive heard..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Oh and to answer sean's question the amp is a profile ca600m. im pushing 420 rms out into the sub at 2 ohms. The bass boost is now at about 65-70 percent. crossover is at 40 hz. level is at 60-65 percent.

Silver Member

Post Number: 907
your crossover is set too low for one which will cut out alot of bass turn it up to about 80 hz and adjust the amp gains again and the bass boost and set them to about two thirds of your max volume or to the volume at the point your highs dont distort because as i remember your runing the factory deck you should notice a big increase in sound output now

ps...what is you ports inner measurement and depth unless its a slot port then let me know the width and height of the port and then the depth i want to see what your actual tuning frequency is with the poly fill

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Thanks..I set the crossover higher...and improved alot...Now i notice the difference. Hits much harder then sealed and much clearer. Settings are correct, now its just amount of polyfill. I used about 2.5 pounds. I think that too much. But it sounds good, i wouldnt mind it sounding even better though lol.

The slot port size is 1.5 wide, 12.5 in height, 14.5 in depth. Thanks for all the help so far sean.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Thanks..I set the crossover higher...and improved alot...Now i notice the difference. Hits much harder then sealed and much clearer. Settings are correct, now its just amount of polyfill. I used about 2.5 pounds. I think that too much. But it sounds good, i wouldnt mind it sounding even better though lol.

The slot port size is 1.5 wide, 12.5 in height, 14.5 in depth. Thanks for all the help so far sean.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2380
Personally, I don't think you need that much polyfill, I really don't recommend using it as a crutch for a smaller box. Your sub should work very well the way it is, try taking some out and see the difference, you shouldn't have far over a pound in there in my opinion, if any. Crossover settings make a big difference in bass response, 80 hz usually works well for most systems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 910
with the 2.5 lbs of poly fill in there your tuned to about 34.5 hz and with the one pound that jon recommends you would be at 36.8 hz I usually dont like to go higher than 36 hz but this is only slight plus we have my cousins kicker set at 39 hz (not by choice but as a by product of cutting the box down to fit in his trunk) and for pretty much any music except some all out bass cds (not music) it plays clean and safely also tuning it higher like jon recommends will help you get more bass because your tune will be closer to your bass boost frequency

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2390
I thought he said it was initially tuned to 34 hz though...34 hz is a good tune.

Silver Member

Post Number: 924
with the box size and port measurements he gave those were the frequencies i came up with for his port tune in the situations i gave so he must have been off on tuning

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2397
Ok, just curious, didn't plug in the numbers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us