My first run-in w/ the new Term-Labs.....ouch!

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 231
Last weekend i slapped a 3.25 cu ft enclosure together. (tuned to 36hz) Today, I went to a comp in pineville, louisiana. I only hit 133.7dB w/ 1 brahma 10" on a jbl bp600.1 on the new term-lab. I took second (small comp) in my class.

BUT, a guy w/ a DD 9515 in a CRX w/ a big ported box handed me my @$$. 148.7db...lol
the only reason he was in my class was because he ran 2 kicker XS100 (bout 1200wrms each, lmmfao...@ myself)

well, guess i did decent being that the box was just slapped together at the last minute.

you guys think i'd do better w/ a 1200.1 and have it tuned higher? also, about what would 133.7db on a term-lab translate into on an audiocontrol?

Bronze Member
Username: Audionoob13

Novi, MI USA ...

Post Number: 55
hum? hows it sound? do you like how it sounds? are you happy with it?

When i got my 15" brahma in a 3.0 Cu Ft box tuned to 30Hz i hit 149DB's and another guy at this shop had these random 15's in his suv and he hit 155DB's and he had to try to brag to me how much louder his system is, all i told him that i enjoy mine and it sounds so much better than yours....He got quiet, his sound so bad and it was his daily driver!

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 232
SQ is ok, but the box it CRAP. I built it in a hurry. Its not made very well at all, it flexes and crap. Have really bad port noise!

i'm putting the 10" back into the SQ box that i made for it a while back...i'm thinking bout getting a second brahma.

by the way, that kinda mic did you do 149dB on?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2360
You definately need more power. At tuning, the sub needs much more power b/c the excursion is at the least. You can put tons of power to the sub and be fine mechanically. You're comparing a 10" Brahma to a 15" DD, which naturally is going to be louder. On an AC mic, it varies, usually add about 3 db or so. You didn't do bad at all for your application, it also depends on your vehicle. You need to find the resonant freq. of the vehicle and then tune the box to that for SPL comps. Also, remember hatchbacks like CRXs are going to be louder than most vehicles (except walled vehicles, etc.). Try a better box as well, build it stronger and use more port surface area, and a higher tune (in the 50s usually). For SPL comps, you could put over 2000W RMS on a Brahma and be ok(ONLY at tuning, though), as long as you don't do it for too long.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 233
yea, i knew the box was crap before i put it in the truck. (98 chevy ext cab) i just folded up the rear set and set the box on the floor in the back.

i'm gonna brace the box and tune it higher. on my first run, i had my 45hz port in and peeked out at 49hz. (ports are changable i have a 36hz and a 45hz port built rite now) i'm gonna tune build another port and put the 1200w amp on the 10" (the amp should be in tuesday)...i should get a little more out of it then.

oh...anyone wanna buy a JBL bp600.1? i'll sell it pretty cheap. i wont need it when i get my 1200.1.

Bronze Member
Username: Slap_johnson

Arizona

Post Number: 79
ya, if your looking to compete, look at designing a 6th or 8th order enclosure, email adire and see what they say about designing 6th or 8th orders, then find a shop that has a pink noise mic, and then tune to that frequence, also 10's arent the best SPL monsters but you should do good for your class though

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4842
1200.1 is $200 on cardomain.com :-)
avoid 6th and 8th order enclosures unless ALL you care about is SPL, and don't plan to listen to the system at all for musicality.
trust me on this one.. the boxes sound much akin to an elephant passing gas right next to your head..

not that I know much about elephants.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 234
yea, i know that you mean about bandpass enclosures. i dont care for them.

i wanna trying to get up to 140dB...yea, thats gonna take some trial and error. (if i can do it...lol)

i have no idea that i was thinking when i built that 3.5cu ft box. like i said, it was a crappy box, you can touch it and feel it flex, lol.

oh well, i had fun at the comp. there were only about 3 other people that had even heard of RE, Adire, and DD at the comp.

also their was a guy w/ 2 12" RE SE x.x.x.'s w/ an orion amp, not sure what model amp, but he did ~146.5dB in a ford ranger. (that out did a guy w/ 4 15" autotech MX's...lmao....i loved it!)

i had my brahma mounted inverted, and every one kept asking me "what model JL is that?"...lol

i'm gonna brace the 3.5 cuft box some more and prolly spray it w/ bed liner or something to that effect. also, i'm getting the brahma reconed soon, i think in have a weak voice coil.

One more thing, does any one know of any comps happening in Louisiana, southern Ark., or eastern Mississippi??? I cant find any info around here!!!

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 901
i have no doubt youll be able to do a 140 db with the brahma after all an mtx 8000 10 did that at 800 rms ported

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 235
i think my WHOLE problem was the enclosure...

Silver Member

Post Number: 902
yeah plus you were tuned too low

Silver Member

Post Number: 903
for spl anyway

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4862
nice with those REs.
the charger I'm building should be good to go with two Orion 2250SX amps on a pair of triple X 12" in a fastback then.
heheh

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 236
glass, you gotta post some pics of your charger when your finished.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4885
got a few here;
www.wickedcases.com/charger/
but for the moment most of the work is on the motor and trans.
after that comes the suspension, paint, lining the interior, then the little stuff like the stereo heh
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us