Fuse/Wire Question about KX1200.1

HELPMEASAP
Unregistered guest
Ok, I just purchased the KX1200.1 and I got the 4 gauge wire amp kit...later I find out its recommended to use 0/1 gauge wire...so i went around to find answers I found out that 4 gauge would work fine, but is this true? Also my kit came with a 80A fuse and the KX1200.1 comes with a 150A fuse...would I have to get a 150A Fuse or could I use the 80A Fuse because im using 4 gauge? Thanks for all answers!

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 114
4 Gauge will be fine. As for the fuse, yes I would get a bigger fuse. The sise of the wire has nothing to do with the sise of the fuse you need.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4763
this depends ona few things really.
mainly the load you'll present to the amplifier, and how far you're running the cable.
here's a chart for power and ground cable size based on distance and current or wattage:
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

at 1 ohm the 1200.1 will produce about 1200-1400 watts RMS at full output
it's a class D amp, so that's about 120A of current, give or take.

at 2 ohms though, it puts out 600 watts RMS, and that's only about a 60A current draw.

now, 4ga should be fine as long as you don't run any other amplifiers on that cable with a distribution block if you're running a 1 ohm load.

realistically though, you probably won't run the amp at full blast, and even if ya do, it won't be for long, so the chances of actually pulling 120A of current through that power cable for more than a second or two are very slim, and you won't build up enough heat in those couple seconds to cause any trouble anyway.
so honestly, 4ga even at 1 ohm really is just fine. Kicker recommends 1/0ga for a couple reasons.. to be safe, and in case you run another amplifier. I think that amp also supports strapping, which would allow you to run two of them for a combined ("bridged" essentially) 2400+ watts of output.
then you really do want to go 0ga.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4764
oh, and try to match the fuse you use to the load on the amp.
if the amp runs 2 ohms and only puts out 600 watts, then use a 60A fuse not a 120A.
the closer ya keep the fuse to the actual current draw, teh faster it'll blow if there's a problem, and the more chance you have of protecting the expensive amplifier(s).

HELPMEASAP
Unregistered guest
I'm only using 1 amp for my entire system for right now, and prolly for a good year so your saying 4 gauge would be alright then, right? Also, are you saying I should get a distro block or no if im using 1 amp? Also I'm putting it to 1 ohm stable, so should i just go with the 150A fuse? This is my first setup and I'm installing it so thats why im asking...

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4778
yes 4ga should be okay. 4ga is good to 125A at most, which is why 2ga or 1/0ga is recoommended, but unless you're competing in SPL events, you won't be pushing the amp to peak output.

I'd say go with 4ga cable
120-150A fuse.
no need for any distro block.
when you add another amp later, if you do, then run 1/0ga from the battery, and add a distro block. split down to 4ga from block to amp.
that comes later though.

HELPMEASAP
Unregistered guest
alright, thanks alot man! seeing other post you seem to know your stuff so imma put trust in ya...hopefully if i have more questions ill post in here under this name, unless i register

Bronze Member
Username: Napalmz

MIDWEST

Post Number: 22
glass would 80a fuse be ok for 4 ga...for a 1200watt 1 ohm load?its agu fuse holder and its the largest i can find(80a)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4799
you'll need a larger fuse if you plan to turn the thing up.
you want 120A or 130A, and consider switching to a different type of fuse like ANL.
that may help.

HELPMEASAP
Unregistered guest
Another question for you glasswolf. I have a 1989 Chevy Caprice with a 120 Amp Alt, but I also have power windows, seats, trunk, locks...you get my point. So with that being said...will a 120 amp alt be OK with my kx1200.1 amp I have? I'm guessing probably not but could I atleast install it during my subs "Break-In" period?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4822
well here's what I suggest.
the larger alternator is for a larger load due to all the power accessories as you've noted.
There's no sure fire way to tell how much reserve the alternator really has, and a lot will depend on your listening habits as well.
Try with the stock alternator and see how things go.
After a couple weeks you'll get used to the system and how you want to listen to it.
See if your lights dim, or any other similar telltale sign of sagging voltage rails.
You can also use a meter to see if voltage drops at the accessory plug in the dash or fusebox while the car is above idle (over 900rpm or so).
If you have problems, you'll want a larger alternator.
If things seem fine, you're good to go.
that's the best way to really tell.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us