Koda 6 rear fill

W. C. Rontgen
Unregistered guest
I am thinking of adding two Koda 6 speakers to my car for rear fill. When I looked at the Adire site for details on power handling, I found this:
150W
NOTE: Power rating is thermal only! It is NOT a power requirement; typically you get full output with significantly less power than the rating.

I understand what the thermal power rating means, but how much power should I plan to run realistically?

Any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4728
for 6" rear fill, you'd be fine with about 35 watts. 50w at most.

my views on rear fill:
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html

Username: W_c_rontgen

Central Nowhere, BFE

Post Number: 2
GlassWolf,

I read your article before I made my post. I like to do my homework before I open my mouth. ;)
If you look at my new profile you can see the current system I am running. I have a large freq. gap, however. Do you think the Kodas will fix this problem?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4735
should help some if ya cross em over right.
other option is to add a midbass driver up front, such as in the doors.

Central Nowhere, BFE

Post Number: 3
I have the JL 5.25" in the doors. Unfortunately, I can't modify the car much, as it is my daily driver and it would piss my wife off. SQ is important to me, but I prefer a full, well rounded sound to "a believable sound stage." Is there somewhere other than the rear deck I could put a midbass driver? Does it need to be a box, sealed or ported?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4744
midbass is usually free air or just put into a door or free space in a side panel.
kick pods can work as well.
consider fiberglassing pods for them.
that gives more places to consider.

Central Nowhere, BFE

Post Number: 5
Thank you very much for your help!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4757
note if the wife or kids are in the car, consider grilles over any speakers by your feet or ankles.. or suffer the fear of getting them kicked in by somebody not thinking.

Middle of Nowhere, Central WI USA

Post Number: 7
Unfortunately, there is not much room for kick pods in my Grand Prix. I have a bum hip and need all the leg room I can get. I haven't come to any final decisions on what to do. Glass, if you feel up to a trip, come over to WI and you can consult. ;)

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 577
Yeah I've got the same problem. I built some .18 ft^3 boxes for my rear 5 1/4 components that bolted right behind the stock locations in my Explorer. I was hoping to get some more midbass and I did but it didn't help soundstaging any.

As of now I have the rears bandpassed at about 90-300 Hz and the soundstaging problem is gone but those lil 5 1/4's just can't fill the gap. If I crossover my 10w3's any higher than 80 Hz I start "hearing" them too much.

JL's 6w0's play awesome in .16 ft^3 so I was thinking about using them in the rear, but Jonathan recommended kickpanel or door locations. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I don't want to cut up the "stock" look of my car and my emergency brake prohibits kickpanels. I don't want to "waste" my $600 5 1/4 Q's up front by replacing them with a set of 6 1/2's either.

So guess I'm stuck. Would bandpassed 6w0's in the rear help? or should I try crossing over my subs a bit lower but at 12 dB/oct instead of 24 to get a better midbass "blend" or transition. At the moment all I have is a 70 Hz SIP, but I used to have a 50 around here somewhere.

-Fishy

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4782
what year is your GP?
I have a friend who works on GMs. I'll see if he's got one around I can eyeball.
I know what ya mean about the hop though.
that friend's wife got rid of their 90s grand am because she's got back problems, and he's got MS. got too hard to get in and out of the car so now he sticks to his el camino, and their trucks.. and she drives the monte or a truck.

I use a cane sometimes myself so the jeep and the Charger are good for leg room.. haha

Post Number: 9
I have trouble getting in and out on cold, wet days. What a pain the A$$.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4833
I'll see what I can find out.

Post Number: 10
you rock
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts