Glass/Jon - Setting Up 3-ways

Username: Colin1

Post Number: 7
Or anyone else who has experiance with 3-ways :P

I want to get everything figured out before I make the plundge and actually buy something, and figure out im in over my head.

The 3-way set in question is a Rainbow pro w/kickbass (100w RMS). The Amp is an Arc Audio 4050XXK, possibly bridged, possibly not. First Q is if id be better off getting a 100w 2 chan to run my comps.

Do I need anything else to get these comps to work perfectly? Ive heard about a high-pass filter, but shouldn't the amp or comp have that?

Second part is to manage my imaging.The car is a 1991 3 series BMW (old E30 body style). Im planning the 6.5" in the kick panel. My slot right now is for a 5.25", so im remaking that, so I can change the angle of the speaker no problem. The 4" will be going in the door panel. It is will be around 1' away from the 6.5" (center to center).

For a sort of more visual example, the 6.5" is just above my ankle, and the 4" is just below my kneecap, just below and infront of the seat, though still visible so I can aim it if neccessary.

Is that a good setup, or should they be closer to one another, or the 4" further away from me than the 6.5?

Should they both be facing across the car, or should one or the other or both be facign towards me. If both, then the same amount, or one more than the other? Speaking generally of course, I'll manage the angles to figure out what sounds best, I just want to know where to start.

If its not a good placement setup, I'll just switch to a set of 2-ways.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2348
Midrange typically works better in kick panels. Personally, I recommend that you put the mids and tweeters in the kick panels and the woofer in the door, this provides a better center image in most cases because the pathlength difference of the mids closes in (not as much difference between sides). Putting the woofer in the door also gives it more airspace, so bass will be better. As far as the kicks, try facing the drivers towards the opposite side for starters (left pointing toward passenger, right toward you). Then, you can angle until you find a good center image, also try to make it where there isn't a side bias as far as volume, if you point the left side directly toward you, it'll more than likely sound louder than the right. If you have a home audio reference system, try getting a CD you're really familiar with, then listen on the home system to simulate how the imaging should sound. If not, then try listening on a good pair of headphones, though it won't quite be the same. Then, once you get in the car, try to get it as close to that as possible. Another option is to take a CD, record it to your computer, and use some type of MP3 converter to convert stereo into a mono signal, then you'll have good center image, and both sides should sound the same.

As far as the amp, bridged or not it would likely run the components well. Personally, I'd bridge it. It's a great amp, but if you want a 2 channel the Arc XXK 2100 would work well. Amp has a high pass filter on it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4729
if you can afford it, get a two channel amp and run at 4 ohms.
costs more than a 4 channel bridged, but you'll have more head room, and less distortion.
makes for a cleaner system and that sounds like what you're after looking at your choices in gear.

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the info. That setup (Jonathans suggestions), when done correctly, will maximize the potential of the 3-way setup?

If I find a good deal on a 100-150w 2 channel, I'll dish out for it. I'll see how I like the 4050 bridged and unbridged for now (im sure the sound from the comps will still be better than what I have now).

Thanks again

Post Number: 9
EDIT: When I say 'maximize potential', I mean not only for my car, but for 3-way systems in general.

thanks

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4742
yeah Jon knows what he's doin.

Post Number: 10
I know he does :P

I just wasn't sure if the setup he suggested is the best for my car (which im sure it is), but if I had more room, ability, etc. to work with, I could be able to get more out of them.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2353
For your car, it'll work great. The fact that the midrange is smaller than the factory woofer allows you more room to get a good angling of the mid. Plus, that door will give you much more airspace than a kick panel would, making your midbass much better. That's usually the best option in most cars, sometimes people put mids and tweets up higher, but that's usually in large SUVs and Trucks where the kicks are very low to begin with. All about matching the horse to the course. In my next car I plan on running either 3 ways in the same manner I suggested you, or 2 ways in kicks. Haven't decided :-)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4758
if I didn't concur, I'd say so :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Stanleyc

Post Number: 42
Do you mind me asking where you will be getting those speakers? They don't seem to be on many US online sites so am I correct in assuming you will be getting them from a local shop?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2373
It depends. I got my current Dynaudios from the shop I coowned before it closed down. Depends on what brand you're talking about, I'm considering Rainbows for my next install, not sure yet, but anyway you'll have to go find an Arc Audio dealer, they are the only authorized dealer for Rainbow in the US, at least the only ones I'm aware of. Very hard to find, but excellent components. Any component set you're considering, their website should have a dealer find that way you can go audition sets.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us