Bridging

Bronze Member
Username: Ninemode

Atl, Ga

Post Number: 12
here is a ?, if you have one s.v.c. 4ohm sub and bridge a 2 channel amp to it the amp really sees a 2 ohm load which isnt good for most amps now that i know, what if its a high current amp that runs in stereo or mono, say audiobahn's a2200hct, does that rule still apply?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 557
High current amps are generally designed to power lower impedance loads and most good "regular" 2 channels do just fine at 2 ohm(4 ohm bridged). Assuming honest specs I've always just looked at the power ratings at 2 ohms to get an idea of how an amp will perform. If it develops twice the power than at 4 ohms then I feel confident running it at that level.

But specs can lie.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4692
actually a 4 ohm load on a bridged 2-channel amp is the same load as a 2 ohm load if the amp isn't bridged (in stereo mode.)
that's totally acceptable.
in fact you jsut don't want to go *below* a 4 ohm load (speaker) on a bridged amplifier.

more in bridging here:
http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4693
on a side note, as long as you stay within the rated specs of the amplifier in question, you're fine.
most amps are made to be stable to 2 ohms (4 ohms bridged if they are multi0channel and support bridged mode.)

there are a few amplifiers that are stable to 1 ohm, 0.5 ohms, or even as low as 0.33 ohms, but as you noted these are high current amplifiers, and will be advertised as such in their specs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us