6x9's vs. 6.5's vs. component (6.5 components)

Username: Wastelandgrows

Post Number: 1
I am in a predicament of sorts. I have done as much research as I can on the interent, but I still don't know what would suit my purposes. I want a nice sounding system, but I don't know if I can handle component speakers. They seem so much more complicated, cross overs and tweeter positioning and what not, along with the fact that I will most likely need an amp if I get component. Are they worth it by all means, or should I just settle for some 3-ways. And then what are better sounding for the most part, 6x9's or 6.5's. I like the idea of 6.5's because I can just put them in the factory door panels and don't need to mess with anything else, or do I? Some guidance please. This is in a 97 honda civic with no subs or amps, and I am planning on an excelon kdc-x879 head unit.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2280
Component systems aren't terribly hard to install. They would be #1 for sound quality. The problem with components is that you need to get an amp to get best results, they will run off a head unit, but you won't get optimum SQ. But, any good speaker system needs an external amp, a head unit won't give best results with any speaker. 6.5" coaxials would be second best if you want a less complicated install, Eclipse point source coaxials are nice. 6x9s just plain out suck for a SQ install due to the oval cone, resonance is a problem, as well as cone flex, added distortion due to uneven stress points, etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us