Fiberglass material cost..glass?

Anonymous

Hey, I'm wondering how much it costs to get fiberglass and resin typically, and what all do I need(excluding little stuff like the paint, foil, tape, brushes and paint mixers, got that around the house)? Just want to make sure, I'm considering trying to fiberglass some kick panels, but don't have a huge amount of $$$ right now.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4564
it varies a lot. over the net it'll cost ya a lot because you have to pay a hazardous materials charge for shipment.
I get mine pretty cheap locally but I've got some connections around here to get stuff pretty much at cost.

Anonymous

I heard on one site you can get the stuff around $20 bucks, but that seems really cheap. In most hardware stores, you think it'll be under $75?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4604
yeah should be around fifty if I recall.
I haven't bought any recently as I had a couple buckets of it already.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2305
I believe you can get it at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc., and a quart with hardener is under $20 bucks. Can't remember though. Depends a lot on how big the project you're doing it and how thick you want to make the panels, a quart may not be enough. You can go to a marina or boat supply shop and get a gallon with hardener much cheaper.

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 170
I dont know how much you need, but me and my brother rebuilt our crabbing boat and had to do alot of fiber-glassing and we got 5 gallon jugs for almost 100 dollars but you will prolly not need that much. We got it from a boat manufacturer out here.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4630
yeah I was buying mine in gallon buckets. I forgot to mention that.. then you need hardener, and in my case, I use gel-coat for coloring additive, too.
you'll also want materials for things like shaping the base layer for the glass and such.. MDF to cut things like rings for subs etc.

Bronze Member
Username: Sas

Post Number: 61
i been reading this post because i am also intrested in trying my hand at fiberglassing. before i read this i knew pretty much nada on fiberglassing, now i feel as if i can do it

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36873

Bronze Member
Username: Ctx

Post Number: 79
go to a boat marina you can get a gallon with hardner for about 20-25$

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 585
Yeah when I worked at Sound Advice one of the guys made a round fiberglass enclosure for a Kicker 10" Competition. He used a beach ball as a mold, hehe.

It looked pretty retarded but he used the thing to demo the Kickers with anyway.

I've done a bit of fiberglass work on boats and such(built a two man hovercraft) and its fairly straightforward if not messy work. If you do a lot of power sanding in between coats wear a mask(or at least hold your breath like I do) and make sure you wash your clothes BY THEMSELVES if you get covered with the dust unless bein itchy all day at work/school is your idea of fun.

:-)

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 183
yeah wear a mask, we had to do alot of sanding on old fiber glass and the dust got in my nose and throat and I got sick, like soar throat and stuff. It really sucked. And it really itches your skin.
Ahh, brings back memories.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us