One question

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 162
I have a 99 ford tarus, would it be worth it to put a 6'' port through the back deck into the trunk??? I have 2 V-Max's with a sony 1200w amp

Anonymous

i have always wanted to try this because i think that you would get alot out of it but i would do two 4" or 6" ports i would never do this in my car though because i can almost here the trunk rataling as it is

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 857
if you do it send the ports straight from your boxes ports through to the back deck

Silver Member

Post Number: 858
same size as your boxes ports connected

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 165
what if they wonnt reach?or does it not matter how long they are outside of the box?

Silver Member

Post Number: 859
it does not matter how long they are outside the box

Silver Member

Post Number: 860
thats if your saying your going to report with a piece connected all the way up through the deck from your boxes port

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 167
yea, i was wondering if i could use pvc pipe connecters to get it there??

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4504
just vent the rear deck into the cabin.
no need to port the box through the deck.
remember if you remove the ports from within the sub box, you alter the box volume.
this will alter the tuned frequency of the ports.

more on venting deck lids:
http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/trunk.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 868
glass i meant keeping the port length the same inside the box but having it extended out with a solid piece. I thought i read that this will not change the port tune doing it this way and seperating the ports causes a change in tune from the trunk to the interior cab

i will read your link and see whats up as well

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4507
better off just venting the rear deck. the larger the venting, the more trunk to cabin air coupling you'll get, and the better it'll work.
that's the way I'd do it anyway.
allows more room to move the sub box around, too.. lets you put it where ya want.

Silver Member

Post Number: 869
that was the article i read to get my understanding apparently i miss read what he was saying heres the part he wrote....thanks glass.. i stand corrected

Some like to run the port of a bass reflex enclosure up through the deck. I find this to be a bad idea as the only output that will increase will be the frequencies close to the tuning frequency. For those people who like the slammatotious bass of a psycho bandpass, you are in luck if you plan on building a custom enclosure. By simply extending the whole port up through the rear deck, you can focus 100% of the acoustic energy into the cabin with zero energy wasted in the trunk! The hole around the port must be sealed with silicone to assure 100% direct air coupling.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4510
yeah. porting a box through the deck, as you noted, limits the coupled output to the tuned port response.
not that great in reality.
you're better off venting the whole deck, or stripping the insulating materials from the back of teh rear seats and such to open up air to the cabin from the trunk to get the full range of the enclosure.

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 175
well the way i have it set up i have the back seats folded down, 15 inches back the box. I have it sealed from the trunk, all carpeted and my amp and cap on a board infront of the box that is 15''-38'' sounds nice, but I was wondering if your subs made a kinda weird sound off this song, Many Men-50 cent, only happens when the bass tones change during the low, and from high to low, not a really bad noise just sounds funny. Kinda like a blurb, Another question, would i notice a big difference if i got another amp that did 50wx2 for my rear 6x9's?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 515
If you mean add power to your rear 6x9's yeah that would add some midbass but will probably hurt your front soundstage(you'll start hearing things coming from the right rear of your vehicle).

Oh and as a note to extending a port beyond the box: an unflanged port has slightly less effective oscillating mass than a flanged or "baffled" one which could offset the "lower tuning" resulting from increased airspace. Of course an unbaffled simple simple source has half the output of a baffled one as well.

I always wanted to build a bandpass vented through the rear deck of a sedan but "venting" a ported box in the same way would only increase the "low end" response down around tuning like Glass said. If you coupled the driver output as well that might not be such a bad thing however.

I guess the next step would be to "mount" the drivers and ports in the rear deck and with a sealed enclosure beneath, but that could be a tricky construction task.

:-)

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us