Proper sub(s) for the subwoofer channel of VGA800.5

Username: Swegert

Post Number: 1
Hello Folks,
I am upgrading my system and I have settled on a Soundstream 5-Channel VGA800.5 Amplifier. It is rated at:
RMS Power at 2 Ohms 100 W x 4 + 400 W x 1
RMS Power at 4 Ohms 50 W x 4 + 200 W x 1

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_1891.html#

I want the amp to power my whole system, so I will have one channel available for the subwoofer at 200W (4 ohms)or 400W (2 ohms). Can only one sub be wired up to the single channel? If so, I will get a single sub with ratings matching the channel. If I can wire two subs to the channel, what will that do to my sub options ? Does the output get split between the subs, meaning that I should get 2 subs that are each rated at 100 w (4 ohms) or 200 w (2 ohms) ?

If I run the two subs at 2 ohms, then do I have to run the rest of my speakers at 2 ohms, or can channels of a multichannel amp run at different impedances ?

I currently have:
Alpine SPS-460A 4"x 6" front speakers (25 W RMS)
Alpine SPS-690A 6" x 9" rear speakers (50 W RMS)
Alpine CDA-9827 head unit

If I have to run everything at 2 ohms, then I will be sending 100 watts to each of the Alpine speakers, which may be dangerous. I was thinking that if I used 4 ohms on the front speakers, I could use the highpass filter for the front channels to make the 50 W safer to each front channel, since they are rated at 25 watts RMS. I have a 1990 Cadillac, so I am stuck with 4 x 6 " speakers in the dash.

Thanks for your help on this. I am new to the car audio game but I am quickly becoming fascinated with it.

Username: Swegert

Post Number: 2
***update******
Soundstream says:
HELLO; REGRADING YOUR QUESTION ABOUT THE VAN GOGH AMP. YES THAT IS POSSIBLE TO RUN 4-OHMS ON CHANNELS 1-4 AND 2-OHMS ON THE FIFTH CHANNEL. THANK YOU
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us