Amp rattles?Jonathan?Fishy?

jeremy carson
Unregistered guest
I have a Kenwood KAC-714 mono amp that i got for free from a friend I am powering a diamond audio12 inch sub around 300-450rms. when the sub hits theres a rattle somewhere inside the amp and somethimes the sub cuts out when it hits. i havent really used it for a long period of time but in like 20 minutes the amp started getting hot. i opened it up just to make sure nothing was loose, everything seemed to be tight. also does anyone know what bass emphasis means?can anyone help me with this problem please?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2197
If he has the amp mounted to the box, it'll explain the problem. Never mount an amp to a sub box. Amp starts getting hot, try mounting differently if possible, honestly Kenwood amps aren't the greatest.

jeremy carson
Unregistered guest
The amp is not mounted on the box is under the seat that'll explain why it gets hot but the noise is more of like a rattling tapping noise it does it off and on while playing at all volume levels. like after five minutes of playing thats when it starts doing the rattling tapping noise off and on.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2210
It honestly could be a ton of things. Remember that with heat, metal expands, something might be expanding after the amp heats up and rubbing against something (never know). Might explain why it happens after playing for a couple minutes. I really can't tell you what could be rattling b/c it can be so many things, but typically if you have an internal rattle, it's something like a transformer b/c of how heavy they are. Did your friend ever mount the amp on the sub box prior to you getting it? Anyway, you need to take the amp cover off and listen as you normally would, until you can pinpoint exactly where the rattle comes from.

"when it starts doing the rattling tapping noise off and on"
Does it rattle only when the sub hits, or all the time on and off, whether the sub hits or not?

jeremy carson
Unregistered guest
So i just got done checking the amp, took the lid off and listened to it like you said and the noise is coming from this big yellow square thing i think is the transformer like you said it sounds like something loose in there it only does it when the sub hits, when the sub doesnt hit it dosent make the noise. By the way my friend did have it mounted on the box for like a year and a half he said. If it's the transformer how much is it going to cost to fix it or is it not worth it? Also what would happen if i didnt fix it and i just used it like that anyway? cause the sub stop cutting off it only did that like four times.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2228
Yep, that's a transformer. If it's still working (which it is) you really don't have to "fix" it(as in actual repair), they use silicone or epoxy, etc. to hold it in place, you could run a bead to tighten up the gap between that and the circuit board, that should stop the rattling. The reason the sub is cutting out is because when it rattles and moves around, you're probably tugging on the wires hooked up to it.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2229
Oh, and make sure no soldering points are loose or frayed wires. Safety and assures that the wires don't pull apart in the future.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 491
Sounds familiar don't it Jonathan.

I have the same problem on my Xtant 1001dx altho it ain't rattling. The metal core the two coils are wrapped around to give higher inductance is loose. Mine's connected with two big globs of silicone which are thin and kinda stringy/stretchy where they come into contact with the core. I haven't done anything to fix mine yet altho I'd think globbin on some more silcone would help.

-Fishy

jeremy carson
Unregistered guest
Allright thanks for all your help jonathan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us