Post your SPL Here!

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 152
Ok time to let people show off. Post your Spl scores and what subs, amp, and box your running!

zdgdsa
Unregistered guest
your a fagg

AudioBahnDouche
Unregistered guest
17db
AUDIOJUNK1001 AMP
AUDIOJUNK1004 SUBS

YOU CAN GET THEZ SUBZ AT CIRCIT CITY DAWG OR FOR 60$ ON EBAY.

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 244
Bunch of cheep sh*t geting ~118-120 db in a truck. A weighed on slow response for a average DB reading. Running a MAX or 240 watts RMS, not bad SPL for very little power i'm running.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 224
I hit 130 something with an Audiobahn, HA. I was only running half the watts, but knowing that sh1t it was probably hitting full excursion anways.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 248
I bet the cost of my system is probably less then half of what you payed for your gear. The speakers are not that big its just a 12" sub and a pair of 6x9's and its not even a high SPL sub or it would over power the sound of the 6x9's. I just posted because I knew my SLP of my junk and i dont spend loads of $$$ to compete or anything. I build for sound not SPL.

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 159
jUST BECAUSE MY SING IN NAME IS AUDIOBAHN MAN....DOESNT MEAN I DIDNT MAKE IT BACK WHEN I WAS A NO0B.......

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 257
huh? I'm just saying I'm happy with my cheep junk, and I'm not putting down anyone else's gear. Because of the DB scale being that every 3 DB is twice as loud it gets tricky when twice the power is also required just to get 3 DB. I know a lot of other variables come to play also. But with what I have, I'm sure I would surprise you with the sound quality and the SPL i am getting from it.

Username: Cleveland

Post Number: 6
138 DB very big car ?
15inch r type alpine
true 581wrms alpine digital amp v12

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 262
WoW, nice! 15"ers in a car thats insane!As for the seemingly low Db reading It's because of the DB scale. For every 3 Db it is twice as loud as the previous. So when you get that high you need a high resolution DB meter to tell the difference more accurately then the ear can. Thats why you need to run so much power but you have one thing on your side. You have the hugh 15"ers they usually throw alot more sound per watt then a small speaker!

Anonymous

fryguy......that isnt how the "spl scale" works

its like this:

for every +3dB you will theortically need 2x the power (ex 100db w/ 100wrms...103dB w/ 200wrms)

and for every +10dB it will twice as loud.

the dB scale works on a logrithmic function...log base 10 if i remember correctly.

bumper
Unregistered guest
136dB 1 15" Cerwin Vega in a 4.2 cu. ft ported box tuned to 32hz. Powered by JL e1400.

Reppazzent
Unregistered guest
160dB 2 13w7's, 2 1000/1's in mah oh fo' VW R32.

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 129
WTF!
136DB with a 15... I dont wanna be mean, but i doubt that...

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 228
i'd say 136dB w/ 1 15" is VERY possible, in the right setup.

i mean, i'm doing mid 130s w/ one brahma 10" in a 3.75cu ft box @ 36hz w/ a jbl bp600.1.

Bronze Member
Username: Slap_johnson

Arizona

Post Number: 72
ur a damn liar reppazzent, im hittin 150 somehow on the new termlab with 3 X.X.X, theres no way ur pushin 160

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4511
haven't been metered yet, but system is asl follows:
1966 dodge charger
whole car lizardskin lined/deadened
270A alternator
1x redtop
2x yellowtops
1/0ga distribution
Orion MBR70 battery regulator
alpine cda-7990 cd/tuner
orion concept 97.2 1/3 octave 30+30 band eq
orion 300psw pre-amp/eq
3x orion 2250sx amplifiers
dynaudio system 3650 front stage
2x RE triple X 12" subs, sealed fiberglassed enclosures

it's a SQ system, but I'm guessing I should be in at least the mid to high 140s.

Anonymous

i hit in the upper 140's witha single 15" brahma mk 2!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Tripperdiv

Post Number: 22
----yesterday we had a local comp.and i won 1stplace in my class and overall,i hit 159.6db.i have a 99 honda civic with 4 15" bostwick dcl drag r subs ----4 bostwick 1100.1 amps(1 on each sub).150.4 bostwick amp for highs on 4"bostwick speakers and 5.25 componets up front and cdxm9900 sony headunit also i have 2 2fared caps and 2 yellowtop optima batteries---and guess what im still running oe alternator,system is doing good for now so im not going to upgrade untill i absolutely have to,would post more pics but it took forever for these to upload will though if someone wants to see progress of works -----sorry pics didnt post let me know if yall want to see

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4535
could just supply a link to the pics hosted elsewhere.

what mic and meter were used for this event?
audiocontrol? term-x?
burping with the car turned off would be fine on just the batteries you have.
the alternator is needed more for use with the engine running above idle for extended use.
SPL events are 15 seconds usually.. at full volume.
batteries and capacitors are fine for that sort of event.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 273
Anonymous, thanks for the correction. I messed up on that (I'm going to edit my post so its correct), thanks. The DB scale is a base of ten for double the loudness and for every 3DB requires twice the power. Thats where high effiency speakers make a huge difference.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 275
I guess this forum don't allow you to edit posts other then the last post you made.

reppazzent
Unregistered guest
yea I actually did hit 160 with 2 13w7's running on 2 1000/1's. They are in my R32 which is prime for SPL plus they are in a 5.5 cu. ft ported box tuned to 29Hz. If you are pissed off that my 2 sub system beats your 3 sub system take it up with someone who gives a sh!t slap johnson.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 277
Keep it clean, please. We all have our peeves and say things. I started an argument in a forum earlier and it's not worth it.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 159
remember everybody, every one of these scores maynot be compared to the other. each may have been scored using different mics. audio control tend to run 3 to 5 db higher than a termlab. termlab has proven to be the most consistent mic(sensor really) to date. this is in part thanks to it not being a mic, it is a sound pessure level meter. humidity and all other weather related conditions seem to impare most microphones(goldline,audiocontrol,ect.) by changing thier physical characteristics, thus relating in an inaccurate reading. however the termlab seems to fend off the conditions of its environment and produce the most consistent #'s we've ever seen in spl competitions.
btw, nice # reppazzent and slap johnson, what mics were those #'s on and was it "legal"(sealed on the dash) or "outlaw"(open door/window in the kick)? also do you guys compete? i am a USACI member...

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 131
holy christ 160 db with one 15''. That F@KING nuts lol. I've heard that once u pass the 150 dbs, you have problems breathing, that's gotta be intense... Sorry for doubting you btw bumper

Username: Aaronmiiller

Post Number: 3
Ight i got 2 12" sony p5s in a ported box to the deminsions sony gave me. Look at my setup at www.cardomain.com/id/blazinahrent cuz i wanna know what im hittin. The amp im still not for sure if im pushin out the 900x1 or the 500x1 but im findin out.

Bronze Member
Username: Kickercomp

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 61
150dB with one 13w7 and 1000/1 in 98 ford explorer

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 51
reppazzent you must have some bank because those R32's are dank as hell. 240 hp or somethin right? Damn i wish I had one of those.

Juggalo Jeff
Unregistered guest
whats an R32? And yea jeffrey D i dont think anyone was sitting in a car at 160db or they are just stupid to do that

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4649
is 240hp a lot?
I'm sitting at a bit under 600 myself.

*grin*

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2326
lol I had close to 800 in one vehicle. I got probably about 300 in a truck now, but it's a torquey, low rpm 300 :-).

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4653
I was watching Rides the other night when they set up a 70 'cuda with a 528 hemi crate motor.. Rad Rides did the car.. man that thing was gorgeous.. was driving around 700 horse with that one.
that thing sounded mean, too hehe
said with the EFI and tweaks, he'd get around 10MPG out of it, with a 13 gallon tank.. heh
car was built for that host of 'fear factor' I guess.
Personally I don't watch reality shows.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2330
Saw that one. Yep, Joe Rogan was the happy customer on that deal. He got a tad excited when driving Troys cars. I'd love to get that Mustang back, but the ~8 mpg I was getting wasn't pretty, of course back then gas was under 80 something cents a gallon. Mine wasn't the all out street brawler, it had the power, I just should have spent more money on the tranny, gearing, and chassis. Had a plain out nasty idle to it, though, and could rev around 7,000. I

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4657
heheh
I'm still contemplating my final compression ratio.
deciding between a conservative 11:1 and pump gas, or going to around 14:1 and running premium with tetra-ethyl lead (TEL) additive to boost it to about 106+ octane or so.
I figure when I finish with the A727 torqueflite and the Dana 60 in back it should take anything the motor dishes out for abuse. those 727s are bulletproof if ya build 'em right.
Only a 3 speed, but they're still popular for strip use.

I'm still debating the rear suspension though. I thought about a 4-link, but still pondering just using some traction bars on a beefed up version of what it's got now.
I just need to lift the rear end a bit so I can squeeze the 315s under it and still clear the wells.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2332
Yeah, 727s are strong as hell. I may look into a C6 with a Gear Vendors under/overdrive if I get the Fairlane, I've had sticks in most of the cars I've built, I'd like a change. Of course, Detroit Locker Ford 9" in the back. Gotta hold tradition. How big is the cam in that one? Mine were custom ground equivalent to the Comp Cams 305H, somewhere around 253 degrees at .50" lift. Nasty on that quart in a pint pot motor :-)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4668
looking at having a cam ground for it right now due to the 4.150 crank. gotta match the top end to the bottom end of that motor now.. messing with finding the right rod lengths and all that fun stuff.
I'm looking at something past mild, but not quite on teh strip level for aggressive.
I want it driveable.

I'm looking at throwing a TorSen rear end in that D60. should be sweet for hole shots, and still great in corners.. heh

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2334
I'm probably going to do a somewhat aggressive 351W, possibly stroked. Nothing too fancy, plenty enough to get me around fast. I guess 450 hp would be a good goal, not totally unaccomplishable on a street motor.

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 196
well since i know nothing about that ill just read and leard....

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 296
To who ever reads this:
Above 130 db or even before that you will be wanting to tear your ears off from pain also you can lose your hearing temporally, and possibly not get it back. Even with less than 1 min at that loud can do serious damage to your hearing period! (Experts say prolonged exposure to sound greater then 90 db can cause hearing damage).

So "crank it up mother fu<kers" (Quote from "Adam Sandler - What The Hell Happened To Me" CD) , and play it safe use ear protection

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2335
Yep. If your ears are ringing, you've likely caused hearing damage. If your ears ever hurt or start ringing, turn it down. Enjoy your hearing and protect it.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4714
if your ears are bleeding, you may wish to consider turning the volume down a click or two.
*grin*

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 139
theres one thing i find weird.... I hear ppl saying they hit around 140 dbs with 2 15''. If u go on the pioneer site, there is their pick-up, it has 6 FACKIN HUGE @SS subs, and they say they hit around 175 dbs... is this normal, or did i read wrong???

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 175
the higher you get in db the harder it is to squeeze out more. what is it, double the power for every 3 or 6db, can't remember. So yeah, that sounds right.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4748
175dB is around the world record for SPL.
it takes a lot of work and a lot of physics to attain those scores.
every +3dB is about twice the power.
every +10dB is twice the audible volume and ten times the power equiv.

I used to hit in the 151.x range consistently with my Festiva back when i competed using two 12" subs in a large vented enclosure, but there were plenty of people a lot louder, just not with as little power as I used.
Remember decibels are a log base 10 scale, and not linear.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 121
Turn the radio down. I have to keep so I can drown out the constant ringing. Damn jet engines.

Speaking of horse power how about 32000 lbs of thrust.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4786
I'd prefer an SR-71 personally.
enough thrust to drive a cruise liner.
If you put the turbines of a blackbird on a 747, it'd literally melt the plane.. granted, a 747 doesn't have a titanium composite skin either though.

man I miss watching those things take off..
then go immediately to re-fuel in the air.
hahahaha
remidns me of my car..
punch the gas and launch.. to the next gas station to refill the tank.

Bronze Member

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 54
what kind of whip you got Glass? No rice burner right?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4844
'66 charger with a 493ci stroker.
old detroit steel.

Bronze Member

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 56
thats dank

Username: Thehammer

Mount Holly, Nj US

Post Number: 9
I havent been tested yet but a friend i kno got 150 wut 2 10inch L7's and the guy told me mine is 10x deeper and louder
I have A 15inch Mtx 9500 jl 1000/1 amp with the sledgehammer Mtx box ported

SPL4me
Unregistered guest
devin,

what mic did he do 150dB on? and old AC (that was messing up!)

oh, and the guy that said that your sub is 10x louder is a tard!

i have seen pairs of 12" L7's do 150, but 10's...only in a system that is TRULY geared toward SPL!!! and it would be hard to get the 10's to do that even if you know what your doing. X.X.X. 10's, yes. L7 10's, maybe!

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 916
just for the record so far ive seen one L7 12 at the nationals i went to a few weeks ago hit 150.3 db and i also know kicker themselves hit like 150 db official with two L7 8's

Silver Member

Post Number: 917
oh and i saw the loudest street drivable car in the world at the nationals as well. He hit 171 db with like 8 15 inch memphis mojos and 16 ma audio core amps his front wall alone was 7 three quarter inch pieces of mdf lol. I know because i talked to the guy and he said go look because he blew one of the subs and was repairing the other which he said was good for like one more burp LOL. I went and looked and counted the sheets myself 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 i was like man. Oh and i said how do you do that spl without popping windshields? He grined and said oh i popped 11 already. (it was all in like an econoline van ugly too set up as a wall of course)

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
a competitor that comes to our shows does consistent 149's sealed on the dash with two L78's and one zapco 9.0 in a crx. yes sealed on the dash with an a/c, that is equivalent to a termlab outlaw(door open). thats loud

Silver Member

Post Number: 918
oh and alma gates was at the show with her truck i think it was with 11 alternators ( i was like man) i tried to talk to her but she was busy talking to another guy at the time

Silver Member

Post Number: 919
thats a definate feat Zac with a sealed box

Silver Member

Post Number: 920
man i stood there and counted those alternators 11 ...man ill prob never see that many again in an spl vehicle

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 166
I have a freind who has a navigator, his install has 6 15 inch L7 solobarics and a rockford bd1500 on each sub, he was metered in the low 180's.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2403
Sure he did....Calling your BS, by the way

Unregistered guest
This is to "joseph". The current world record sits at 174.5db. thats with 20000 watts and with the theory of every 3dbs u go up then u need twice the power i think ur buddys a little short on watts.

Bronze Member
Username: Stanleyc

Post Number: 54
He hit 180 when all his amps blew at once. =)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4934
I've heard claims in the 180 range "unofficially" at events and such..
which translates to "couldn't repeat it" and "done on an old audiocontrol mic on a rainy day at sea level, and metered at the subs, not the dash"

but anyway, I'd be interested to know where that guy with the 180 got his vehicle metered, and if he has a slip to back up his claim.

I like the ones who claim a 200dB SPL..
I wonder what atmosphere that was in, because it sure as heck wasn't on earth.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
sean, his box was ported. "sealed on the dash" means with all the doors closed and windows up and the mic on the front of the dash by the windsheild. "outlaw" means the mic is placed by the kick panel and you may open doors or windows.
in most all vehicles you will gain at least 3db or so by opening a door. think of your entire car as a big bandpass enclosure. also since the a/c mic is like 3db looser than the t/l his score is equal to that of a t/l's because his car was sealed. 149 with 2L78's :-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2409
In our atmosphere, the loudest man made sounds are nuclear explosions and the Saturn V launch. The loudest sound known of in history was the explosion of the Krakatoa volcano in Indonesia, the volcano had a series of eruptions, and after one of them, lava cooled in the conduit, sealing the volcano. It tried to erupt but remained sealed and built of huge amounts of pressure. Finally the volcano exploded, the sound from it was audible over 3000 miles away. Barometric readings were screwed up all around the world because of the infrasonic sound waves the volcano sent through the air. Doubt any SPL competitor could do THAT :-)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4948
hehe
200dB is about the limit, such as a shuttle launch, but the only reason this event, and most of the ones you mentioned can reach 200dB, is due to changing the surrounding atmosphere via the gases created around the event.
example being the hydrogen fuel used in a shutle launch.. this alters the makeup of the atmosphere allowing things to work a bit differently than they otherwise would for things like sound pressure.

anyway, on competing, when I was in IASCA circuits, it was pretty much always windows up, at the dash for metering. heh
if you want to have fun though, you vent the trunk of the car underneath in areas like the spare tire well.
This couples the cabin air with the outside air, and essentially does the same thing as having your windows down.
This is done for some enclosure types too, like an AP box in a hatchback.
only way to pull it off since each side of the box has to have separate airspace.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2411
Yeah, know what you mean about Atmospheric pressure. They say underwater earthquakes can top 270db. I'd like to know how loud that volcano was, though, but it was in the 1800s and the tidal waves caused by it killed 30,000+ people on nearby shores, so I doubt there were a lot of witnesses to say "Yeah, it was loud", plus they didn't have the new Termlabs sensor back then :-).

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4955
rofl!

or 20 kids to say, "I have 12 S15L7 solobarics in my SUV that are louder than that!"

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2413
My 12" Id max hits so hard it threw the moon out of orbit and caused a huge high tide on the shores of Japan (picturing actors from the movie Godzilla) :-)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4970
It's Godzilla!
No, it's NOT Godzilla! Due to international copyright law, it only LOOKS like Godzilla...
But we should run like it IS Godzilla!
...But it isn't!

-Goldmember

Anonymous

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhehehehehehehehehehehehhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahehe heheheheheheheh,hahahahahahahehehehehahahhehe, haha, hehe, ha, he, haheheha, Man I love that movie.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2437
lol. My fav was "Are you sure you don't have a little clone in you?" Too bad he's the only one that can use that innuendo :-)

Username: Krazyk

South Afica

Post Number: 3
ok original topic!

I hit 138.8db with 2 kenwood 3003 12's and a 800w Kenford amp with a ported 2cf^3... no need for costly installs here ... very pleased with that. was measured "legal/sealed"

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4992
very nice. closer to 140. that's plenty loud enough in a car for daily driving for sure.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us