How the hell do you....

johnsimms
Unregistered guest
i just bought (2) svc v-max 12's, and everyone on here is telling me to make the 2.0 cubic ft which is easy, but then they say make it vented and tune it to 37 hz! How the hell do you do this??? can someone give me elaborate instructions on how to do this please. And also give me the diameter of the port and also its length. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 306
Did you get any T/S parameters with that sub? I knowm wishful thinking.

I'll go work something out on winISD.

brb

-Fishy

[note] in the meantime what kinda vehicle is this goin in? and what are some dimensions to where you want to put the thing.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 218
www.bcae1.com

go there and look for the speaker enclosure calculations link...it has a javascript that will calculate the port length for you, all you have to do is put in the info it asks for and it calculates the port length for whatever frequency you put in...

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 307
Yeah doublecheck me.

I've got an internal volume of about 2.2 cubic feet a side(accounts for port volume/speaker displacement inside the box). This a rough guess as Cerwin Vega doesn't want me to know how much their subs actually displace. I based it on a Xtant A-Series 12.

Well anyways 2.2 cu ft internal volume with a 4" pvc port(4.5" o.d.) about 9.2" long should give ya a 37 Hz box tunage. :P

If you plan on using any bracing just figure out its volume(I know, big pain in the rear) and increase the internal volume by that much.

If you can give me an idea where this thing is gonna go I can give you some outside dimensions(w/o bracing).

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 308
oops, made a mistake, used the speaker displacement for that Xtant mounted INSIDE the box.

Your adjusted volume should be 2.16 cubic feet, not 2.2.

sry

-Fishy

johnsimms
Unregistered guest
Whats up fishy, its going in a big grand marquise! This car is huge. Same body as the cop cars, so shape isn't an issue. I got the svc subs w/ a kicker kx600.1 mono class d amp. I'm running everything off of a pioneer premier 760 head unit. I listen to r&b music. I'm looking for deep bass lines that can keep up with the music! Thanks a million for your help. If you need more info about my car or products just let me know.

johnsimms
Unregistered guest
by the way fishy, i would like this to be as loud as possible!!! thanks

johnsimms
Unregistered guest
fishy, sorry for triple thread... I would like box to be 41Lx14Hx13.5W for both speakers. But do I put a piece of wood in between the speakers to enclose each chamber?

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 317
lol, yeah thats a very good idea.

Those are outside dimensions right?

Ok, we're gonna haveta to go a bit bigger. With 3/4 mdf w/ spacer those dimensions only give us about 3.36 cu ft internal volume. We need to get up to 4.32 cu ft.

Keeping two dimensions fixed which one can we expand a bit?

I'll assume that you've got room for more width.

back in a flash

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 318
Would a box with outside dimensions of

41"L x 14"H x 16.9"W work?

That box built with 3/4" mdf with a 3/4" divider and no bracing would have an internal volume before speakers and ports of 4.317 cu ft.

Subtracting a combined .3176 cu ft displacement for both ports and subs yields a net internal volume of 3.999 cu ft which is just about right on the nose.

If these dimensions are cool you're good to go.

-Fishy

[note] once you get the thing built fire it backwards in the trunk for the most SPL. experiment with the distance from the rear of the vehicle(with trunk closed). If you got a humongous trunk you may experience some phase cancellation at some of the upper bass frequencies if its all the way forward.

oh and you might wanna try to couple the air in your trunk to the cabin by removing some stock speakers in the rear deck or maybe even adding some holes? eek! It'll make your bass sound louder inside the car.

good luck :-)

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us